June 28th, 2011

Hardware in Orbit: International Space Station

The International Space Station is the result of years of collaboration by five individual space agencies (NASA, ESA, JAXA, ROSCOSMOS and CSA) and at least fifteen different partner countries. With materials launching from both the United States and Russia, construction on the station began in 1998 with the launch of the Zayra module and was officially completed in 2011.

ISS has been steadily inhabited for over ten years, with a new crew (Expedition) roughly every six months. The station has liveable space equivalent to that of a five-bedroom house, and is the length of an American football field.

The International Space Station is resupplied by Soyuz craft as well as automated transfer vehicles and, until its retirement, the Space Shuttle.

ISS crews work steadily to conduct research to advance scientific knowledge and develop new technologies.

More on ISS

Filed under: Hardware in Orbit
  1. scotonfire

Ground control to Major Tom.

February 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  2. super_Nova1403

the space station kinda looks a little wierd in a way. mostly because you can float around

October 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  3. Mitt Romney

the only way to truly know about what the hell your talking about is to go up there your damn self

October 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  4. msreview

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i'm glad to show that I have a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot certainly will make certain to do not overlook this website and provides it a glance on a relentless basis.

May 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  5. emach

Why does Obama hate America?

March 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • winger27

you really do have some issues you know... I mean, it really does astound the mind.

April 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • winger27

It is absolutely astonishing the lengths to which these people will go to go bashing and hating on any post they can find. A story about the ISS and someone has to say this kind of stuff. I mean REALLY!?!??? How did this bitter, obviously sick in the head wack job find THIS story and decide to start posting political hate crap here!?!?! LOL It truly astounds me. I wish I could find some way to make money off of all this insanity! Hey, I think the politicians have!! Can't believe I never thought of that. hmmmmmm...

April 3, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
      • super_Nova1403

winger your right they have and are right now.the government is a twisted game of muder and plots. my advice: stay the "bloody ell" away from the government

October 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • super_Nova1403

he dont.. U DO

October 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  6. Garvens Bonhomme

what does the Space Station look like?

March 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  7. Patt

Yet another example by all those libertarians who whine about government programs to shut up and follow the progress such government efforts leading to advancements. It really irks me to see people enjoying benefits 'after' successfully developed by government and the private sector takes a free ride on the proven technology.

July 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Tony

What the hell are you rambling about Patt... lol

September 14, 2011 at 9:21 am |
      • Earnhardt

Free knowedgle like this doesn't just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.

October 9, 2011 at 3:01 am |
      • Dan

What Patt is attempting to articulate is the idea that government programs have developed many of the important foundational technologies and infrastructures underlying our modern economy, from the Internet to the highway system, smoke detectors to digital mammography. There are many individuals out there who fail to give credit to this fact, and instead repeatedly insist that government "get out of the way", as though an unregulated, hands off business environment and banking system will produce much other than environmental destruction, economic instability, monopolies, and rampant poverty. That's not to say that enormous government and cronyism are the answer either. It's to say that there is a healthy middle ground, and the current mounting extremism pervasive within our political system is very dangerous to our nations' future.

October 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
      • Michael

Very well said Dan...I agree completely.

January 12, 2012 at 3:26 am |