Scientists: Dozens of hybrid sharks found off Australia
The hybrid shark contains DNA from both the Australian blacktip shark and the common blacktip shark, researchers say.
January 2nd, 2012

Scientists: Dozens of hybrid sharks found off Australia

The world's first hybrid sharks have been discovered in substantial numbers off the coast of Australia, and scientists say it may be an indication the creatures are adapting to climate change.

Australian researchers say they've found 57 animals that are a cross between the Australian blacktip shark and the common blacktip shark, two closely related but genetically distinct species.

"Hybridization could enable the sharks to adapt to environmental change as the smaller Australian black tip currently favors tropical waters in the north while the larger common black tip is more abundant in sub-tropical and temperate waters along the south-eastern Australian coastline," researcher Jennifer Ovenden of the University of Queensland said in a press release.

Ovenden said the discovery is a first for sharks, and it could indicate that other shark and ray species may interbreed in reaction to climate change.

The findings were confirmed using DNA testing and measurements. Scientists from the University of Queensland, James Cook University's Fishing and Fisheries Research Center, the Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation, and the New South Wales Department of Primary Industries will conduct further studies to determine the fitness of the new hybrids, according to the press release.

The hybrids were found along a 2,000-kilometer (1,243-mile) stretch of the eastern Australian coast from Queensland to New South Wales. The breadth of their distribution and their numbers impressed researchers.

"Wild hybrids are usually hard to find, so detecting hybrids and their offspring is extraordinary. To find 57 hybrids along 2,000 kilometers of coastline is unprecedented," Ovenden said.

Jess Morgan, another University of Queensland researcher, told The Australian newspaper that hybrid species are common in fish because their eggs are fertilized in the water.

"Sharks physically mate, which is usually a good way to make sure you don't hybridize with the wrong species," The Australian quoted him as saying.

"The results of this research show that we still have a lot to learn about these important ocean predators," Colin Simpfendorfer from James Cook University's Fishing and Fisheries Research Center said in the press release.

Post by:
Filed under: Discoveries • News • On Earth
  1. ofertas bahia principe en puerto plata todo incluido

I'll immediately take hold of your rss feed as I can't find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Please permit me understand in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

March 12, 2013 at 9:28 am |

Hello There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. This is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

July 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  3. ericdb

This isn't all that unprecedented, but cool to see evolution in action. These were probably two pseudo-species evolving apart, and some phenomenon brought a portion of their habitat ranges back together, allowing interbreeding. VERY premature to claim climate change, but hey, that gets you in the headlines baby! Gotta love popular science. I would like to know if the hybrid offspring are fertile?

May 1, 2012 at 2:58 am |
  4. Epixeirhseis

Amazing things here. I am very satisfied to see your post. Thanks so much and I am having a look forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

April 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  5. Seagrass Rug

I don't think I'll be going surfing off the coast of Australia in the near future. It's not worth the risk of being attacked by an evil shark.

April 5, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  6. Roger This

I spotted several hundred Toyota Hybrids heading South. I guess this was related to global warming too.

March 16, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  7. seo tools

Hahah, My laptop crashed when I was browsing last time I was here. And for the past 2 months I have been looking for this weblog, so thankful I located it once again! :D

January 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  8. Dr.K.

If people would put as much energy toward learning about science as they put toward finding ways to smugly deny it, I suspect the human condition would be much much better.

January 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  9. MarineScientist

This is an awesome scientific find. First time ever that anything like this has been discovered. It's too bad that all people can do in this comment section is talk about how to eat them, and argue a pointless argument about whether global warming is real or not, which it most certainly is. As a Senior in college, who studies marine science, and will be going to school to obtain my Masters and possibly PhD in Marine Biology, I can tell you all that there is substantial evidence that greenhouse gases are building up in the atmosphere due to human consumption of fossil fuels, and that this buildup is not only causing increased warming of the climate (indicated by the more severe storms and altering of weather patters all over the place), but also causing the ocean to become acidified to the point that now there are many organisms in the ocean that are almost literally dissolving. We need to realize what we are doing to the environment around us, and stop being so consumed by greed and an unwillingness to change, or we are going to be forced to change due to a changing planet, just like these sharks.

January 4, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  10. jshie

Where is the science, as opposed to the speculation, that there is any connection whatsoever to climate change? This is a prime example of why the warmists are losing the battle.

January 4, 2012 at 12:31 am |
  11. Megz

Regardless of your opinion on climate change, please take 12 minutes to educate yourselves. RIP Stephen Schneider.

"I'll confess my prejudiced: Then end of the world and good for you are the two lowest probability outcomes."

A year in the making, this video pays tribute to a critical scientific and academic figure in postmodern history: Climatologist and Stanford Professor Stephen Schneider.

January 3, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  12. Primewonk

Wow! Evolution AND climate change.

No wonder the talibangelical tea baggers who purposefully choose to be ignorant about science are going bonkers over this.

January 3, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • MarineScientist

Haha great comment. They are going nuts

January 4, 2012 at 10:15 am |
      • We are the champions my friend!

Hey MarineScientist and Primewonk,

If one has decided to go Bonkers or Nuts, it is always good to make travel plans. So when we decide it is time to go either bonkers OR nuts we conservatives will call ahead to any of the motels there and have the libtards manning the front desk make us reservations. Like as not the land of bonkers and nuts, like the land of Fruits and Nuts out on the left coast, will be so full up with YOUR type that we will have to turn around and come back.

I would engage you both further in a battle of wits, but it would be unsporting as I can tell you are both quite unarmed.

January 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  13. hecep

A hybrid shark? Great. I'll all for improved nautical mileage.

January 3, 2012 at 8:49 am |
  14. dave

Polar Bears spend most of their time eating baby seals and pooping -– Why do so many people hate baby seals and love bear scat

January 3, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    • We are the champions my friend!

Hilarious logic Dave! My only answer, in respective order, is that it must be for the same reason that they hate unborn baby Humans and love Obama....Badda-badda-BING!!

January 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  15. Bobertmcboberson

Not going to say climate change isn't happening, But how do they know it's not just that these sharks don't give a crap about who they shag?

January 3, 2012 at 7:31 am |
  16. We are the champions my friend!

Global warming is a myth, spread by lying, ignorant, hot headed, deadender, commie libtards who want more of the productive classes money to waste on projects employing themselves and their otherwise unemployable libtard friends, who cannot find a job in the private sector they pretend they despise.

When global warming fails to appear, the current "data" having been proven to be falsified by the biased "researchers" and therefore useless, they will without apology or remorse, move on to some other scheme to pick our pockets.

Bottom line is, the liberal drone class is seeing the end of it's free ride on the backs of the productive. Finally, after 80 years of expensive and pestilient, hateful and divisive; and downright destructive, hegemonic rule over the basically conservative American people, their corrupt rule is slowly but surely coming to its end. They will go out of power, noisily and expensively, kicking and screaming, screeching and squalling, and loudly proclaiming the cosmic unfairness of it all the entire way out. But it will avail them nothing, because out they will go just the same.

And I can't wait.

All the libtard screeching and squalling that I have read here today, and which will be directed at me by all those in whom I have just hit a nerve, should in a small way prove to the sane among you that I am correct.

Have a nice day. And by the way, try the tea it's delicious. It sure beats the liberal koolaid!

January 3, 2012 at 3:08 am |
    • Primewonk

Another denialist who chooses to ignore science and the evidence.

January 3, 2012 at 10:35 am |
      • We are the champions my friend!

I see you left your name Primewonk, and a one line description of yourself, but why didn't you leave a reply to my comment?

January 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
  17. steve

how many miles to the gallon do they get?

January 2, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  18. b4bigbang

I wonder if these hybrid sharks are sterile like mules.

January 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  19. miklas

This whole climate change craze is based on a mistaken belief. Just because the temperature rises for a few years, doesn't mean it is going to rise forever. Our body temperature is changing slightly from hour to hour, but there is no need to believe that we will die of heat stroke. If scientists would understand that changes in nature are like WAVES, they come and go they would stop scaring the hell out of the gullible public.

As far as greenhouse gases: The earth is NOT a greenhouse. It is a very complex unit that somehow regulates the temperature. At least it has done it so far with success. Earth is NOT a closed unit like a greenhouse. It has no walls where gases can't escape. Good old Earth will solve this problem WITHOUT YOU WHINING LIKE OLD ARAB LADIES AT A FUNERAL LOL

January 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Sean Reif

And just what is your scientific background to make these proclamations oh wise one?

January 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
  20. ArcticFoxMan

Next it will be sharks with fricken lazers on top of their heads!

January 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  21. Leonard

So now, climate change is even causing animals to morph into whole new creatures! wow, this climate change must be really serious. I'm SOLD! ....erhm, not.

January 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Primewonk

Why do people who don't understand science, come onto message boards and denigrate science?

Sure, not everyone can be knowledgeable about all fields. We all choose what to understand and what to be ignorant about. For instance, I choose to be ignorant about Elizabethan Literature. But I don't go onto message boards about Elizabethan Literature and make inane posts demonstrating my ignorance.

That's what I don't get. The posters here who chose to be ignorant about evolution and climate change, making all these posts denigrating evolution and climate change.

January 3, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  22. Carl

I saw a guy at the zoo the other day eyeing a not so unattractive female orangutang.

January 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Leonard

Yeah, it's all this climate change. It's getting real bad. Soon, we'll have articles about how sea horses are mating with ferengies. That's how bad this could get! We've got to pay carbon taxes, or the whole world is going to be destroyed by the goa'uld, in some sort of climate change battle for the galaxy..

January 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
  23. b4bigbang

Polar bears were in danger of drowning due to global warming but we need not worry, because soon they will stop eating seals and will crossbreed with them instead, providing them with all the swimming ability they need....

January 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  24. Rico

This is insane, Sharks that get 40mpg will be nearly impossible to outrun.

January 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  25. Caspar Schlickum

I figured the climate change reference was because hybrid sharks use less fuel, so they were mating to create hybrid versions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and therefore slow climate change? Or am I missing something here : )

January 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  26. slupdawg

I thought this article was about sharka with friggin' lasers on their heads!

January 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  27. Zurg

Evolution at work!

January 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Zurg at work!

January 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  28. Jim Weix

I wonder how the Creationists are going to explain that one. Maybe God got bored last year and...ZAP!!!..a new species is created.

January 2, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  29. Chris

I once tried an Australian blacktip, but I'm really not into fish. I was just curious and did some experimenting in college.

January 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  30. Not Fat

Do they have friggen' lazars on their heads?

January 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  31. achja

what is happening to people I wonder..., whenever I read comment sections I can't believe my eyes when I read some of the comments given – disrespect, abuse, insults... look in the mirror and talk to yourself first. Because – the other one is you!!

January 2, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  32. Hugh Jass

Interesting article, but lacking a lot of information.

January 2, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  33. MONEY

January 2, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  34. ZZZeus

Two things that are false about this:
    1) There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up.
    2) There is no such thing as evolution, just a list of plants and animals Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

January 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  35. otiose8

That the hybrid sharks have any causal connection to global warming (itself still speculation about what may or may not happen) is speculation.

January 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

January 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  36. Sarah987658

my buddy's step-sister makes $85 every hour on the internet. last month her pay was $7783 just working on the internet for a few about it and Follow the instructions at Home Income System and set up your account..

January 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  37. Jennifer

Hybrid sharks and they get 1243 miles to the gallon!!!! Thats soo cool!!!

January 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  38. bolschewik

When my father grew up he learned in school that a new ice age is coming. Those scientists who made up that theory have profited from it, had their fame and recognition and are forgotten today, along with their idea of upcoming ice age.
    So much for scientists....

He also learned that sugar is necessary for the heart (i swear this is what he learned in school) and salt is necessary for the blood.

Every era has its crazy scientists with their horror stories and mistaken beliefs.

January 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • bwana

I'm glad you father went to school and learned something! When were you starting school?

January 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • israel

so far this winter the average temperature has been 50 degrees and the only snow i've seen came before a place that used to see over 80 inches of snow per winter it's been getting less and less, now a winter that gives us snowstorm after snowstorm (like how it used to be) is considered a "freak" event

please explain to me how that isn't global warming

January 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • letsgomets2012

I think what those scientists were trying to get at was this: you need a minimum amount of sodium daily (and probably chloride) to maintain your electrolyte levels. Sodium and Chloride are 2 electrolytes.

January 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
      • Sarah987658

.buddy's step-sister makes $85 every hour on the internet. last month her pay was $7783 just working on the internet for a few about it and Follow the instructions at Home Income System and set up your account..

January 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
      • sameeker

How do you report a spammer like Sara on here?

January 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Dean

Your dad obviously wasn't smart enough to understand what his teachers were trying to teach him. I went to school in the 60s and 70s, and the theory was that ice ages occur every so often, and we are 'overdue' for one... but obviously, the scientists back then didn't know about greenhouse gasses that are man made. Too bad your dad passed his genes on to you...

January 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
      • RussRamey6

As a Geology student mid 1970's married to a Sr Chemist, we both find the lack of actual scientific research that has been vetted, peer reviewed, and double blind tested to eliminate the PC crowd disturbing. We discussed the coming recurring Ice Age you dim wit. MMGW is a political mindset. conservation by all means, but you Malthusian numb nuts need to find a new mania...the facts do not add up. Modeling and concensus is not science, Astronomers will give you better insight as well...

January 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
      • Sarah987658 buddy's step-sister makes $85 every hour on the internet. last month her pay was $7783 just working on the internet for a few about it and Follow the instructions at Home Income System and set up your account..

January 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
      • ivan

I wonder if the the people at Betty Crocker will adapt as fast as nature is. If they dont create a hybrid shark to add to their "shark bites" snack pack, it will mean the kids of today, tomorrow's scientists, will only know about hammerhead, great whites, and tigersharks. This will NOT be acceptable.

January 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
      • Bigboard

Looks like your Dad's jerk genes survived another generation, too.

January 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
      • Stephen

Dean, global cooling was taught in schools. As much as today's global warming advocates want to pretend like it didn't happen, it did.

January 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
      • bitsinmotion

No, half-wit, it most certainly was not. As your own link says " temporary POPULAR attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that DID NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING of ice age cycles. "

In other words, it was never more than half-wits like yourself.

January 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
      • tim

why do you have to be a dick, Dean? Get outside and breath some fresh air.

January 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Kevin

Sugar and salt are a necessity...

For sugar read up on carbohydrates

For Salt, too much or too little salt in the diet can lead to muscle cramps, dizziness, or electrolyte disturbance, which can cause neurological problems, or death. All mammals (Humans are mammals) need salt. ie. Elephants in Africa sometimes travel very long distances just so they can go suckle on salt that occur on rocks.

January 2, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Dan, TX

Don't be a liar please. The vast majority of scientific studies in the 70s predicted WARMING, not cooling. Do you know how to use Google or other web search engines. It is way to easy to show absolute proof that you are a propagandist and not an honest broker. You sir, are lying to us.

January 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
      • charlie

Hello Dan, I remember in the 60's learning about greenhouse gases, global warming, and living in MN. the effects of acid rain. I also remember there were as now, no shortage of blockheads who didn't get it.

January 2, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
      • me

He claimed that his dad told him these things. He never mentioned that he researched them or that he even supported them. Don't crucify somebody for telling an anecdote. There was enough popularity for the idea of global cooling for it to be entirely plausible that his science teacher told him about it.

January 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
      • Ray

You must be talking late 70's. When I was in school late 60's to mid 70's, we were shown videos of the ice caps getting larger and snow depth's increasing. They were Warning of Vast Shortages of Fresh Water resulting in Large Famines Plagues and Wars over Fresh Water. They talked of Country's sending ships to the Caps and blowing up the Ice Shelves and towing Icebergs back so they would have Fresh Water. Some solutions were sending up solar panels to heat up the Earth, or spreading Coal Dust on the Snow so it would melt. They warned if this problem was not fixed soon the Earth would or could flip because of the extreme imbalance this would cause no Earth.

January 5, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • Henry

I am reminded of a comic with the following punchline;

'What if we make all of these changes for the betterment of the Earth and it turns out global warming is a fraud?'

January 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
      • Dave C

Then all we'll have to show for our folly is cleaner air, water, energy independence, and a better understanding of how we are polluting our planet, greenhouse gasses or not. Yeah, you're right, probably better to do nothing.

January 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
      • Daniel

Only good can come from cleaning up the air, reducing deforestation, preserving biodiversity, etc. Why does anyone need a reason NOT to do that?

January 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Chris R

I doubt your father was taught that an ice age was immenant. I think he read about it in mainstream media publications and new shows. See, the thjing is that in the mid to late 70s a few people floated the idea that increased particulate matter in the atmosphere could lead to global cooling. This idea was picked up by the media and blown into a huge doom and gloom story. However, scientists quickly dismissed the idea and proved that it what was. On the other heand, many people have tried to convincingly disprove gloabl warming and no one has been able to do so as of yet. They've been trying to disprove it for 40 years and they still haven't been able to. So I'd say global warming – a thoy that has with stood more than 40 years of critique is probably pretty strong in comparison to a global cooling theory that crumbled in the first few months.

January 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
      • Bryon

Man-made global warming was disproved long ago. Sorry you didn't get the memo.

January 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Chris

You sound like a chip off the old block. Dumb and Dumber.

January 2, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Bull

All we need to know is do they taste like tuna,and how many cans per shark.

January 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • pooh2

In science we rely on an array of evidences (not just one), and we make our conclusions very carefully. If nevertheless uncertainties remain, we quantify them. In the above case for instance we know from genetical tests that the sharks are indeed hybrid, but we only guess that "Hybridization could enable the sharks to adapt to environmental change" This is clear from the language of the article. Of course, if you are not a scientist you cannot see the iceberg of knowledge that is required to be behind all of our statements.

January 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • jim

When I went to school, we learned that PI=3.14159 and some more digits. Today it is still true. I also learned that 220V in the power outlet can kill you as long as about 10mA flows through your heart. Today it is still true. But yes, science is not bible, it is a "search process". Some things we know now, and they are guaranteed; some things we will understand better in the future.... that IS science

January 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • b4bigbang

January 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
      • John

Polar bears in danger of drowning? Which polar bears?
        Get on to Google and educate yourself about these magnificant swimmers. There will be no crossbreedin with seals old boy. Seals are meals.

January 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Guest

Im no scientist,but Im sure it takes more than 40 years for an Ice age to happen

Ill be more worried when they interbreed with octopi

January 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
      • cybersharque

Yes, you are no scientist; if you were, you would know that from onset to glaciers is only ten years. And global ewarming seems to be the only thing that is holding the ice age back.

January 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Tuck

Your dad should have taught you something else, that when you talk about stuff you know nothing about you sound stupid. Sugar and salt are needed in the human body. It's extreme amounts that are bad. If you had no sugar and salt in your body you would die. Now for the Ice Age. Ice Ages come every 25,000 years or so. The earth heats causing rising water and the effect causes increase moisture, clouds, storms, than a rapid cooling of the earth. Its happened 10,000 or so times since the forming of earth. And yes one is coming soon. Estimates range from 50-500 years but it is coming.

January 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • bitsinmotion

You truly are an imbecile.

January 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Sean Reif

Too bad he didn't teach you grammar and basic science. You might have a clue.

January 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • heretic2go

The world's first hybrid monkeys were discovered - all Repubican presidential contenders.

January 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  39. krumpli

If you are a hammer everything looks like a nail to you. Two sharks mating: Climate change, nothing else! The sharks have read Al Gore's book and are preparing for it.

BTW, my pee of my dog is very yellow lately. Must be the climate change.

January 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Bob Devendrf

Figures a retard like you would be checking the pee color of his dog

January 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • Hawk

Ptobably what he has been spikeing his tea party tea with.

January 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
      • camp

Bob and all those below: Dang, you guys are sure too serious!!!! You can't even tell a joke if you were given a script. Lighten up. The subject matter is only as serious as a scientific observation and nothing more. In fact humans do it every single day, on a larger scale traveling all over the planet and cross mating along the way. So cheer up and enjoy the breakthroughs. Stop readily attacking a person. Or at least show credentials that you are better than the other person before attacking. That way, people might believe you and you will also feel better knowing the accomplishments in life you've made. Oh and last, did you check the color of your pee today? Do you think it's yellower than normal?

January 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Dean

It means that as ocean temperatures become warmer, the northern species is encroaching on the territory of the southern species and they are interbreeding. Too bad you've decided to help the human race devolve by ceasing any type of intelligent thought...

January 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
      • Leggo Myears

I would suggest that you are the one "ceasing any type of intelligent thought...". Seriously, if you'd bother doing anymore research than simply reading the CNN article, you'd know that one of the scientists involved doesn't think that these hybrids were caused by climate change, but that the hybrids' new genes will ultimately help them survive a climate shift. It should also be pointed out that these two species aren't CONFINED to the locations listed in this article, only that each PREFERS a specific environment.

In fact, these two types of shark have been seen outside their comfort zones before, they've just never seen them reproduce before.

January 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • jres

Yes .. only a retard is checking the color of the pee of dog !!!

January 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm |