Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age
January 10th, 2012

Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age

America’s Protestant pastors overwhelmingly reject the theory of evolution and are evenly split on whether the earth is 6,000 years old, according to a survey released Monday by the Southern Baptist Convention.

When asked if “God used evolution to create people," 73% of pastors disagreed – 64% said they strongly disagreed – compared to 12% who said they agree.

Asked whether the earth is approximately 6,000 years old, 46% agreed, compared to 43% who disagreed.

FULL STORY from CNN's Belief Blog

Post by:
Filed under: Human ancestors • Voices
  1. Bible Education

Right here is the right web site for anybody who wishes to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject which has been written about for many years. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

March 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  2. Robert

Also, let's NOT be misleading about the findings...the story starts off with "America’s Protestant pastors overwhelmingly reject the theory of evolution..."

This was a Southern Baptist Convention. Southern Baptists are very definitely NOT representative of Protestants as a whole...I'm a Methodist and my guess is about 90% of Methodists I know do believe in evolution (as do I). You want fire and brimstone, God hating everyone but your own faith, etc...great, Southern Baptists are where you want to be. But they should NOT be seen as representative of Protestants as a whole. Big miss there, whoever wrote the article.

January 25, 2012 at 9:21 am |
    • Robert

OOps. My bad. I read the entire article and they surveyed 1000 pastors from apparently randomly selected Protestant churches. I would be VERY interested to see the demographic distribution of faiths represented by the pastors, as well as geographies, and I have to wonder about the extent to which they are truly randomly sampled. I also find it hard to believe that these numbers are mirrored in any way shape or form with their congregations. In any case, there's still work to be done I suppose.

January 25, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  3. God_loves_science

I am a believer in God, Jesus, the bible - and I see no contradiction with believing in science and evolution.... just because there are people who have a limited view in how God could work – doesnt mean all believers share it.

For example, the bible says God spoke the universe into existance on the first day - I believe God created the universe - however...how do we define a "day" – humans define it as a 24 hour period based on the rotation of the earth... Well, the story begins before the Earth was ever created - so could a "day" refer to millions or billions of our years??? absolutely it can.

God is bigger than the box we tend to put him in....my faith isnt dependant upon what some limited people proclaim is true.

January 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  4. Ian

No wonder our schools are going down the tubes. So long as religion continues to challenge secularism, the US will continue to stagnate scientifically. Just look at the CNN homepage: they have plenty of tabs dedicated to entertainment, politics, and money, but not one devoted solely to scientific research. What happened to those dreams of the sixties and seventies of lunar colonies and space tourism? What happened to science in America?

January 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  5. Dave

They have to say no to evolution. If they acknowledge it is real they are out of a job. Now the 6000 year question...come on, I've got food in the back of my fridge that is older than that!

January 12, 2012 at 8:20 am |
  6. Bud

The more frightening fact is that the Republican Party is actively seeking the support of this crowd, and when asked, will agree with these otherwise laughable beliefs. BTW, they freely inform me I am going to hell for voting for Obama.

January 12, 2012 at 8:11 am |
  7. MarcSK

This is why no one takes America seriously.

January 12, 2012 at 7:42 am |
  8. Dr.K.

These guys end up shooting themselves in the foot. Twice I have had students in class come to terms with the fact that they have been misled. One was surprised to learn that the male skeleton did not have one less rib than the female, as she had been told in Catholic school. Another actually began quietly sobbing as she inspected casts of hominid fossil skulls, having always been told there are no "transitional" fossils. The former had apparently already questioned much of what she had been taught, but the latter had a substantial crisis of faith, realizing that if she had been lied to then perhaps it was all lies. I guess these charlatans are banking on the hopes that children will not go out and explore the real world.

January 12, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  9. Primewonk

So a group of guys, who have zero training or education in the relevant fields of biology, geology, physics, chemistry, archeology, anthropology, etc., claim that the 400,000 professional scientists in the relevant fields are lying?

Sure, everyone has a right to be ignorant. But to wear that ignorance as a badge of honor is simply amazing.

January 11, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • Dr.K.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

January 11, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • Jeff

Amazing isn't it! They read a 2000 – 3000 year old book, that tells us we are made out of dirt, snakes and donkeys talk, people live inside of fish, a man gets his hair cut and loses all his strength, men who rape virgins get to marry them for life..., but won't even put an ounce of effort forth to look at what science has to say; yea, pretty amazing!

January 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  10. CaptainDorkOfTheWeeniePatrol

Wonder how the vote went about the atmosphere being approximately 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen?

January 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm |