Hubble Spies a Spiral Galaxy Edge-on
March 30th, 2012

Hubble Spies a Spiral Galaxy Edge-on

"The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has spotted the "UFO Galaxy." NGC 2683 is a spiral galaxy seen almost edge-on, giving it the shape of a classic science fiction spaceship. This is why the astronomers at the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, Cocoa, Fla., gave it this attention-grabbing nickname.

While a bird's eye view lets us see the detailed structure of a galaxy (such as this Hubble image of a barred spiral), a side-on view has its own perks. In particular, it gives astronomers a great opportunity to see the delicate dusty lanes of the spiral arms silhouetted against the golden haze of the galaxy’s core. In addition, brilliant clusters of young blue stars shine scattered throughout the disc, mapping the galaxy’s star-forming regions.

Perhaps surprisingly, side-on views of galaxies like this one do not prevent astronomers from deducing their structures. Studies of the properties of the light coming from NGC 2683 suggest that this is a barred spiral galaxy, even though the angle we see it at does not let us see this directly.

This image is produced from two adjacent fields observed in visible and infrared light by Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys. A narrow strip which appears slightly blurred and crosses most the image horizontally is a result of a gap between Hubble’s detectors. This strip has been patched using images from observations of the galaxy made by ground-based telescopes, which show significantly less detail. The field of view is approximately 6.5 by 3.3 arcminutes."

Source: NASA

Filed under: Light up the screen
  1. djasjfua

awesomee, easy post

June 11, 2013 at 7:00 am |
  2. Willy

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for your augment and even I success you access consistently quickly.

November 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  3. troll2012

hey lets start a new post lol how many of you out there really think 12/21/2012 will be the end of the world??????

April 5, 2012 at 1:21 am |
  4. Genius

Human beings are a result of cross breeding between aliens and apes about 20,000 years ago. People with light colored eyes have a stronger alien gene. What don't you morons understand?

April 3, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  5. Mack

Long ago, the pink unicorn of the abyss came and created this world... And then the doritos locos taco appeared with 5 packages of hot sauce.... The hot sauce is the one who descended from the void and saved us all..

April 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Futon Torpedo

Hahaha.... thanks for laffs today I really needed it. Some of you on here are talented..very talented.

April 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

And Futon Torpedo is a great name. It sounds like a weapon launched from the spacecraft Ikea.

April 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  6. AL

One Hundred and Seventy-Ninth!!!!!

April 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  7. Mark

when you think that it took billions of years for life to evolve into what it is today, meaning humans, what is the chance that whatever life we may find that it has gone through the same extraordinary processes? i mean could humans have evolved without dinosaurs?

April 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • xyzzy

"human" life need not be the only life that is intellignet. That said, for technology to evolve there would seem to be the need for intelligent life with limbs to manipulate their surroundings and fuel to burn to transform material. Dolphins and whales may be more "intelligent" than humans but are technology limited because of the environment and evolution to live in that environment (fins, not hands).

April 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

Yes humans could have evolved without dinosaurs. But if we did, we would not have gas for our cars.

April 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  8. jinxies scoob

in the beginning there was nothing, just a void. and god moved across the face of the void. and then god created a singularity and said 'let there be light'. then there was a big bang.

April 2, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

That's what I believe. I am a Christian, and I believe science astually backs up the Bible. I believe God created the universe and man in six "days", but it those days were not six 24 hour periods. If you consider the six days as six "eras" or "phases" then the six days of creation follows the Big Bang theory to a tee.

And as far as evolution is concerned: What makes man different from other animals? It is our intellect. Our consciousness. Our ability to be aware of our own existence. We could have physically evolved from lower animals, but the day that some ape received this consciousness is the day that God created Man.

Real Christians seek and embrace the truth. Real Christians embrace science.

April 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
      • xyzzy

Oh give me a break with this christian nonesense and drivel. There was plenty of techonology and philosophy that was "invented" before christians decided some guy nailed to a piece of wood was their god/son of god. Christians dominate the world now because in their need to posses everything they have raped the world. Many civilizations that were not christian invented technology and created philosophy.

April 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
      • xyzzy

....and need to add that research is now showing that intelligence and self awareness exists among many other species. Its just not in human terms. So "propoganda" that only humans are self aware and have "souls" is also utter nonesense.

April 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
      • xyzzy

....AND let me add (sorry, this guy triggered something), that it was christians who believed the earth was flat (among many other idiotic "facts" of christian faith that presist to this day) and that anyone who believed otherwise would be squashed. I'm not saying other religions are any better, but spare me this "holier than thou" nonesense.

April 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

My comments were intended to show that not everone who claims to call themselves a Christian is ready to start an argument and start bashing another person's point of view. Your comments are antagonistic. I see a lot of comments from non-believers who say that they wish the Christians would stop being judgemental. I can see their point. However, I can also see that comments like yours insults them and eggs them on to make the comments.

If you want the judgement to stop then you need to stop baiting them.

April 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
      • Futon Torpedo

I'm right there with you dude. I'm in a bible belt state and I challenge my fellow Christians all the time regarding sciene and the bible. I find its a one way argument that goes no where. Sciene is very illuminating and the early church should have been more supportive.

April 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
      • yahmez

I dated a woman many years ago who considered herself a "real christian". She did not believe in molecules. I asked her what everything was made of and she replied, "God stuff". I am glad to hear from a christian that doesn't reject science as anti-god.

April 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
      • Joe

What difference does religion really make in scientific discovery except for creating an additional difference in perspective which ultimately acts as a catalyst to problem solving and innovation? Why must we aim judgmental negativity at someone due to their religion regarding science?
        For the record – I am not associated with any religion. I try to appreciate the messages that religions preach because it makes me conscious of my actions and gives guidance to a fulfilling way of life.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates

April 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

If you look at it a from a different perspective, the Big Bang theory actually helps establish the validity of the Bible. With advanced telescopes and modern spacecraft that have launched science satellites into obit we have found that the galaxies are traveling away from one another. The furthest galaxies are traveling faster than the nearest ones. This means all the matter in the universe seems to have come from a single point at the same time. After years and years of studing facts like these the most brilliant minds to ever exist on the planet have come up with the Big Bang theory to describe the creation of the universe. And, coincidentally, this modern theory is the same story that was written in Genesys over 3000 years ago by people who called themselves Followers of God. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

April 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

April 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  9. Aliengamer

Why is their North star to the East. No wonder the Aliens can't find Earth.

April 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  10. CNNisRight

Thanks CNN. This confirms it. Everything we are and do is entirely irrelevant.

April 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  11. soicanleavecommentsonblogs

Can you please send a message that I am ready to come home. My stargate is gone and SOOOOOO ready to leave this place.

April 2, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  12. seine

I LIKE NOT SO SERIOUS

April 2, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  13. seine

I LIKE MAGGIE112

April 2, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  14. Shawn L

Hey look, thats where Discworld is!

April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  15. seine

I LIKE SHELLY

April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  16. NotSoSerious

I think you all take yourselves too seriously!!!

April 2, 2012 at 8:10 am |

Seriously?

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  17. DrCreosote

All these religion/anti-religion philosophies are pointless. What you believe is irrelevant to the truth, which we may all be privy to in the future, but for now it only diverts us from important issues affecting us current humans.

April 2, 2012 at 3:39 am |
    • ladyjade

we are the cause of our own suffering

April 2, 2012 at 6:03 am |
      • Yodude13

Wow...how infinitely deep and insightful. Thanks for the update.

April 2, 2012 at 8:42 am |
      • Philberto

Desire leads to suffering. ;-)

April 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
      • Futon Torpedo

Yep...that's why I got married. I wanted more suffering.

April 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • sliv3r16

It's ironic how you used philosophy to come up to that conclusion, but I agree with you regardless.

April 2, 2012 at 8:24 am |
    • Joel3

The day is coming when the word of God is going to slap you square in the face. And as for your philosophy, it is based solely on theory, which is basically a fancy word for "guessing"...silly man

April 2, 2012 at 9:11 am |
      • Dave

I don't think you actually know what the word theory means. Hint: it is not a fancy word for guessing.
        Faith = fancy word for insecurity

April 2, 2012 at 10:04 am |
      • Futon Torpedo

"Slap in the face" if you mean by death then yes... I will be slapped and you will too.

God is the "Mad Scientist" of the universe.

April 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  18. watex1234

When brain domed aliens come to earth and start killing everyone. How are you religious zealots going to explain that one? A praticle joke of God/ Alah/ Budda/ Syph / whatever....?

April 2, 2012 at 2:05 am |
    • The Mad Zak

FYI....A few years ago the Pope said that if we ever do prove that aliens exist, it would not mean God does not exist. He pointed out there is nothing in the Bible saying Earth is the only place in the universe where God created life.

April 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Seriously?

What in the world are you talking about? Where in the Bible does it say anything about aliens not existing? Where does it say there aren't other worlds with life? The Bible is the story of life on Earth, written by people on Earth. There's nothing to say there aren't other planets with stories of their own. Oh but sorry, your philosophy on religious people depends on the fact that we're a bunch of wackos with our heads in the sand.

April 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  19. Tea Partiest

Its all a lie. The earth is square. Stop pretending there is an outer space. There is no outer space. Our forefarther will not buy it.

April 2, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • burnz

The earth is FLAT FLAT FLAT, you should not be allowed to get married.

April 2, 2012 at 1:53 am |
      • Brian

......or reproduce.

April 2, 2012 at 8:12 am |
  20. JediNerd

I think I see Coruscant or Tatooine!!

April 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • StarShipTrooper

Looks more like Hoth to me.

April 2, 2012 at 9:45 am |
      • Farscape

No, it’s defiantly Klendathu.

April 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
      • JediNerd

I changed my mind... It's Korriban, home of the Sith! Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies.

April 3, 2012 at 3:09 am |

It's Cardassia Prime.

April 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

That is no galaxy....it's a space station....

April 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  21. maggie112

I THINK THAT IS A MAGNETIC FORCE FROM A BIG MAGNET

April 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

You are 100% correct. Anything that exerts a magnetic force is a magnet!

April 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  22. C student

hi other misfits!
    I got a C in science.
    I like watching TV.

April 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • MJ

That's nice, I like Turtles!

April 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm |

I like ferrets.

April 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  23. annoyed

Can't we all just admire the glory of this image and discovery? The religious comments aren"t neccessary. You keyboard warriors aren't going to change anybody's mind so give it up.

April 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  24. maggie112

its not who that the creator is, its what. and that would be gravity.

April 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • whoared

Why do i hate christians so much? Oh yeah, maybe the hoard of stupid comments has something to do with it.

April 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
      • hawaiiduude

maybe they're jews.

April 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
      • Wayne

Does it matter to anyone what you think......to stupid to invetigate, lazy ass.

April 2, 2012 at 3:26 am |
  25. Dog

Fake! everyone knows god created the universe, and the universe is small cause god only created it for us!

April 1, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • Brian

Sounds the response of someone is so afraid of new knowledge. You shouldn't make narrow comments like this. It reveals to everyone how small your brain is.

April 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
      • TREX

an American type of taliban educated above.........

April 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
      • pat

I believe this is called sarcasm, so no bunching of panties required.

April 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Rick

You call the universe small? How far away do you think you would be if you tried to get to the edge of the universe traveling at 186,000 miles per second for about 50,000 years. Photos have been taken that reach beyond that.

April 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
      • Satan

I'm with Pat, sarcasm is, more often than not, taken for granted.

April 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • aspiringoptimist

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, in which case, well done....anyone who would say this kind of thing "with a straight face" probably would not have clicked on this story to begin with

April 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
  26. taylor

I'm not sure if thats true because they say things happen all the time but it doesn't happen. Like they say comets are going to hit the eath and it will make the biggest shake that will shake the world and its this little thing that doesn't even shake. Thats why i think that it is fake. Well, if it is true than from now on I will believe NASA.

April 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  27. Agnostic

Neat picture, fantastic tech to make it happen.
    The religion thing in some of the posts, however, is a bit disconcerting; to me anyway. I was told when I was young, that anything man could imagine, could be possible. Note: possible, not truth.
    I cannot think of an instance that has shown of anything man has thought to be the Answer, hasn't later required revision. I don't think we have any more of a clue as to what the ultimate energy is than a single cell amoeba has of us when we view it on a microscope. Religions have mostly only been useful as a social control mechanism, and a method to give hope to a short life span.
    Have and hold any belief you want , but quit trying to get the rest of us to conform to your lack of true knowledge and keep an open mind.
    Like I said neat picture.

April 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Wayne

Not much worse than an educated person talking about things he knows nothing about, nor things he has never been there and done that, but is still the one that knows all.....what a total loss of all of those years of education on a person that is to stupid to investigate the truth.....who ya gonna call on when you lay there dying ? yo mama ?

April 2, 2012 at 3:34 am |
    • AlsoAgnostic

I agree Agnostic. We have NO CLUE what's going on in this world, the universe, and reality. For all we know, this is a dream we're having in some other existence. We'll wake up and talk about "being human on a f'd up planet Earth" where everyone worshipped invisible men. What a nutty existence. In reality. humans have about as much a clue about "God" as a dog does to "money" while eating out of his dog dish. What human need to do is realize "We can't possibly know"... and then spend their lives being productive and happy. It's really that simple.

April 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm |

Nice.

April 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
      • Sure

you seem rather sure about that

April 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  28. Tim

Now where did I park my car?

April 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  29. mz

A bird's eye view? That's some bird.

April 1, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  30. Kandi

Buddha was real. He kicked that jew's ass with his words of wisdom.

March 31, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • mendo_matt

'cause if buddha was anything he was certainly an ass kicker

April 1, 2012 at 12:36 am |

Lmbo!!!

April 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Praying4you

Wow!! You obviously hate yourself. I will pray for you.

April 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  31. popeye1128

Dudes! The universe is awesome! Call me sick but on my death bed I would love to have images of space/galaxies flashing before me with Opera music in the background.

March 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • HAL

Just play the Blu-Ray for 2001: A Space Odyssey and drink some cheap tequila.

April 1, 2012 at 4:13 am |
  32. paul.cos

WHY ,all the time we discuss or find something in our universe we always have to relate it to or it turns into a stupid discussion about god??Lets for once as rational humans discuss the topic at hand without having to resort to fantasy,lies,fairy tales and make believe.We,in this country discuss god so much it reminds me of some horrible theocracy,like the taliban or some other regime where they cant escape these lies.We need to grow up as a nation,remember fascism will come to this country wrapped in a flag carrying a bible.

March 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • mh

Thank you! I just think that religious people are pretty insecure in their beliefs. That's why you can't have a rational discussion with them about their beliefs without them getting upset.

March 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Explorer

Obviously, you haven't built anything in your life and have no clue how much effort it takes to built anything. Even most simple living organism is more complicated than most sophisticated computer and you're implying it, somehow, happened by chance... Happy believing in fairy tales...

April 1, 2012 at 2:28 am |
      • Tracy

Of course it didn't happen by chance...try millions of years of evolution from single celled organisms to bugs to fish to lizards to birds to mammals to humans....

April 1, 2012 at 5:54 am |
      • Tracy

Though it is interesting I can see the bug/fish/lizard/bird line... But the jump from lizards to mammals? The Triceratops was a lizard that kinda looked like a rhino.... and the mastodon... and the giant sloth which was the size of a bear.... What a fantastic world of biodiversity. Its a shame we hairless monkeys are letting it all go extinct.

April 1, 2012 at 6:01 am |
      • LuisWu

So who or what created your invisible god in the sky? Or did he just pop into being out of nothing. Grow a brain.

April 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • The Mad Zak

Hey Paul...What does "cos" stand for in "paul.cos"?

April 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  33. chris

Its pretty simple. The universe, planets, stars, sun and so on were created by some force that is beyond our comprehension. Us humans in general do not like to have "unexplainable" things in our reality. So we create our interpretation of what everything is. A real easy way to define the beginning of our existence space is just to cling to a religion and the interpretation that religion gives people.

There is a clear difference between being spiritual and religious. I firmly believe that nearly every religion is worshiping the same thing. The same unexplainable cosmic energy. Its so sad to me that people have been waging wars, killing people, and generally fighting over who's "method" or "interpretation" is better.

The bottom line to me at least is if you accept the unexplainable for what it is, and if you truly believe that there are powers beyond our own human comprehension, and that with enough dedication you can tap into the energy of the universe to make your daily life feel better than that should be enough.

The problem is that religious beliefs have been a political catalyst for centuries and when you get into politics money gets involved...

It would be very foolish to believe that we are the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe, it would be even more foolish to think that we already understand everything about the cosmos. We are babies when it comes to this, some of the worlds most respected thinkers even say we understand only a couple percent of the way the universe works.

Another thing, if there was no sun, there would be no life on earth, so folks need to remember that fact too.

Its awesome that our technology is letting us take photos of other parts of space, its very intriguing and exciting to see how far we will develop in this century. If the rate of our technological expansion over the past hundred years continues, who knows what things will be like generations in the future. To close your mind and soul to a path that religion dictates and says is absolute truth is just keeping your own grown trapped inside a box.

March 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • FlyontheWall

I stopped reading half way through the second paragraph. I bore easily of mind numbing gibberish.

March 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
      • Bob

Exactly!

March 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Fheal

Religion doesn't hamstring science, mankind's interpretation of religion does. Copernicus, Galileo, Newton all pushed the boundaries, but in retrospect did not abolish or belittle religion. People who insist the world must have been constructed in 6days, are the same who will argue a day'really doesn't have to mean a day in biblical prophecy. Such is but one of the problems with religion. For the same type of individual, in the world of science, would not be seriously considered as having anything worth while to say. Hypocrite's with hypothetical theories are just as damning in the religions context.

March 31, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • AaaaCccc

Actually they have started looking for life in places that get no sun. They found it deep inside rock, well below the surface of the earth, also near deep underwater volcanic vents. Makes possibility of alen life even more possible.

April 1, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Charles

Brilliant!Elegant,clear,commentary on an issue of the utmost importance to rational beings.Unfortunately,when one reads some of the responses,we see a lot of name calling and posturing on both sides the issue of scientific versus "reveald" truth.Why can't we be more civil in our responses?

April 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
      • Dennis Weston

The way to bring intellegent comment is as simple as making the Internet Transparent with everyones Picture and full Name Present next to their comments. When we speak out we have freedom to do so, but until we take full responsibility we are not taking civil responsibility and when there is no civil responsibility civil rights slips away...................

April 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

Dennis Weston: Yea. People get awfully brave when they can hide behind an anonymous ID on the Internet. People would definitely not be a rude if they were sitting across a table from one another.

April 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Wayne

WOW.....you said it.....and were doing great I thought, untill you made that last statement, to bad so sad.....I wonder if you could look at it from a different view and preform a miracle as I have seen time and time again by some Christians.
      You unbelievers write with such eloquence...yet know nothing about the truth because it is not your time too, you will know the truth and thats for sure.....maybe to late though.....darkness forever sounds good to you ? Teaching your kids that to I assume.

April 2, 2012 at 3:51 am |
    • coffegirl

So True Chris. To think we promote techonolgy and growth but feel so insecure to let go of "Religion" as it was designed 2,000+ years ago (depending on which one has bought your faith). Together we make what we call God, Budda, Alah, etc...They are all one in the same just with different names, it is our energy of prayer and belief that continues to make the unknown energy stronger. That energy created us and we continue to grow it...We are part of it as it is part of us. Just like the bible says, we were created in his image.

April 2, 2012 at 9:25 am |

Word!

April 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  34. Butch

I think I see a "Starbucks".

March 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • 42

I see it too! Right next to the resaraunt at the end of the universe!

March 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
      • BK

I don't see the other restaurant... oh wait I was looking near the wrong Starbucks

April 1, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • Foo

Thanks for the LOL moment in between all these long-winded comments.

April 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  35. Voron

Sad views of both enlighten people and Christians who box God in a box.

March 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  36. Terra

I am Christian. I believe in God and I believe in Jesus.
    I do not, however, believe that God created the Universe a mere 6000 years ago.
    I do not bash science.
    I do not ignore facts.
    I listen to rational facts and I acknowledge that not everything in the Bible is absolute truth. It was, after all, edited, and large parts of it were left out. I will listen to a rational argument from a non-religous person or science freak.
    (please note that I said rational. Rational does not include aetheists making fun of the "invisible space genie" because that is not a rational argument to not believe in God, despite what they claim.)
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who can be religous and scientific. I will be praying for those of you who ignore religion because of science, and I will also pray for those of you who go by the Bible word-for-word and cannot adjust to reality...

March 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • FlyontheWall

please don't pray for me. I have to sacrifice a goat every time you say a prayer for protection. When you pray the goats get nervous. Please stop that. The goats thank you.

March 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
      • Futon Torpedo

LOL!! You guys are comedy!

April 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • AaaaCccc

Bible does not say earth is 6000 yrs old. You can't have a 24 hr day before the earth was spinning at its current rate on its axis. Given that, the length of a day has varied and did not exist before earth existed, people are misinterpreting time scales. Same mindset that led to the Inquisition.

April 1, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • LuisWu

So who or what created your god? Or did he just poof himself into existence?

April 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
      • Christfollower

Hello, the bible teaches us that God is eternal and had no beginning and has no end. His creations all have a beginning of course. The universe, chemicals, laws of physics, self-replicating life, time itself is His creation. God is far bigger than you are imagining. Imagine bigger! God bless you.

April 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
      • Wayne

Dear LuisWu,
        Please stop...the answer is to simple for you to understand.

April 2, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • Wayne

Terra, right on....keep up the faith...sorry to say it dont appear as if a lot of these folks are living the good life, happy and all. One thing I have found since accepting Jesus as Lord, they have the righ to go to hell if they want.

April 2, 2012 at 4:03 am |
    • The Mad Zak

I too am a Christian, and I am one who does not believe the universe, Earth, and man were created in six 24 hour periods.

The books of the Old Testament were very old. If it was the year 1000 B.C. and you told someone that atoms scattered by the Big Bang began to group together from gravity until eventually our planet formed 4 billion years ago their reply would be "what is an aton" and "what is a billion?" So, the book of Genesys was told in terms the people of that era could relate to.

If you read the Creation in Genesys, and consider the six days are eras or phases instead of six 24 hour periods, the Creation follows the Big Bang theroy exactly.

Not all sects of Christianity teach that creation happened in six 24 hr periods. The Catholic Church says the length of the Creation is not important, as long as you give credit to God as the Creator.

April 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  37. nick

Man Plans, and God Laughs

March 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  38. GOD

Listen, let me set the facts out here so we can be done with it;

I make the Universe 8,201 years ago. You all live in the "Black Night Sky" part of the Universe because I hate you all. I sent Jesus here to destroy you all, but, his spaceship crashed into the Moon. in 1969 the United States sent 2 men to the Moon to gain knowledge from my spacecraft. A large war ensued, lasting until 1981 when Mexico Signed the "Treaty of Brisbane" putting an end to the fighting. I then instructed my second son, Mitt Romney to enslave the United States in hopes of overthrowing the world's superpower, Italy.

March 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • AmericanFreeek

You put that in a book now and it makes a whole new religion. Except, it sounds a lot like Scientology..

March 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm |

Italy is a superpower?

April 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

Yes. But only when it comes to making sports cars and pointy shoes for men.

April 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  39. jimzcarz

God may have created the Universe..But Man invented Religion. and Man has been known to lie...

March 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • mylife55

. . . you got that on my shoes...thanks for sharing.

March 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Wayne

JIMZCARZ..get it right man....Religion means " Man seaking God " Christian means " God in Man ".

April 2, 2012 at 4:06 am |
  40. Myazzzhurts

You guys are so funny!

March 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  41. oscarate

Why does people attack religion in a science forum, specially Christianity? I think this validates that God does exist.

March 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Nat

As awe inspiring as this is, it does not prove anything about a god or gods. No more than early man looking up at the sun and moon and turning a ball of fire and a big rock into gods.

March 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • justapuppet

So true sir!! So VERY TRUE!! See? Ok, so I also believe we should make science work that way as well!! YES!! LET IT BE TRUE!!! If you can argue your point and be attacked for it in a pointless venue then your argument MUST BE TRUE!! IT MUST BE PROOF!! YES!! I see it now, I believe!! I BELIEVE!! It is certain what is first must go last in advance!!

I still want my Jesus ponies!!!

March 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Wayne

Oscarte, I think you have somthing there.

April 2, 2012 at 4:09 am |
  42. erich2112x

Gas up the drones

March 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  43. FACTS

6,000 years ago God made the earth and the Jesus Ponies. The Jesus Ponies were the main method of transportation until Noah forgot to bring the Jesus Ponies on his Arc. That is a FACT. Other refer to Jesus Ponies as dinosarus, but they are in fact Jesus ponies. Once on the arc, Noah realised he left the Jesus ponies at his cousin Ed's house. Ed had borrorwed them to goto the Wal Mart Supercenter, needless to say Noah 'felt pretty stupid'. He even had a note on his iPad: Pandas, spider monekys, tigers, Lions, Ligers, Unicorns (Yes, he DID remember the Unicorns- that is another story, involving a case of Beer and a 'I can light my farts on fire' contest) his Cats, Mr. Kittles and Ms. Devonshire Vanderbuilt-Von Cartier and his two dogs Ms. Doodlesworth and Mr. Maximalias -He was VERY formal with his pets names; Noah also spent months on an aquarium, until he realized it was a flood and that the aquarium probably wasnt the best use of his time...

These are FACTS people. They are FACTS because I am TYPING IN ALL CAPS. So your asking what does this have to do with some Galaxy? I have NO IDEA. But if we still had the Jesus Ponies we might have has a viable method of transportation that could have take us to that Galaxy. Thanks Noah. Thanks a HEAP.

March 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • LIES

This is a LIE! Jesus Ponies were not even a viable form or transportation until 2300 years ago. Everyone knows that! Noah's cat was not Mr. Kittles, it was Mr. Kittles Von Trump Rockefeller-Stamford. Get yoru F-ing facts right.

March 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Pookerzqt

Dear FACTS:

Everyone knows "cousin Ed" wasn't his cousin. Wink wink. Geesh people, is this how far we've come?

March 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • justapuppet

All I want for christmas is my Jesus ponies back!! Then I could race my chariot across the heavens singing merry songs as I ride!! What GLORY that would be!

Oh and umm....I do believe his name was iNoah....I know..uhh...you don't believe me. But I KNOW it to be true! I can VERIFY it with SOLID FACTS....because I JUST NOW typed it!!

March 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
      • 42

and in caps even!!! Gott'a be true then.

March 31, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Kuronja

FACTS: 6,000 years ago God made the earth and the Jesus
      Sure, and what school did you go to? Mickey Mouse school? Get the FACTS first before you writhe the FACTS!

March 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • CatSh

I'm picturing Alley Oop in my head.....

April 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  44. christards

Give us more science (the true salvation of man) and less religion (belief blog). Might as well call it Fantasy blog.

Only dummies believe in god and his nut job son Jesus.

god is imaginary dot com

March 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  45. RM

To Mr. Onion:
    All I can say is I will pray for you.

March 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • wow

go pray the next time you or a family member is seriously ill. However I do hope you ultimately receive aid through science. Science has a better healing statistic. (BTW: praying to a god or a volcano, have the same statistical cure..)

March 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  46. mister onion

If you believe that science is "faith based", just like religion, then show me one tangible thing that has sprung forth from a religion. Just the fact that you are communicating on this site is proof that science transcends mere "faith". When you watch your t.v. when you talk on your phone, when you do up your zipper, you are wallowing in scientific facts, not beliefs. Again I challenge you users of science/technology who are believers in creation to show me or explain to me ONE TANGIBLE aspect or thing that your religion has provided to the human race. If you feel that you are too smart and perty to be evolved from apes, you must have plywood mirrors.

March 31, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • mikeohhh

You're so confused! Egads.
      Religion and Faith are not the same at all. Faith is believe in something you can's see, while religion is a process of doing works and rituals to earn favor with God.

March 31, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • arthurrrrr

God spoke the entire universe into existence. everything you see touch smell feel comes from HIM!!!!

March 31, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
      • Amron

Maybe HIM is really a HER!! Did you ever think of that!!! You are all delusional.

March 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • Jake

Religion has put forth many tangible things. Hatred, greed, intolerance, murder. Curiously, it brings out both the worst and the best in mankind.

March 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  47. MassiveMarbles

The day NASA and the US Government start telling us the truth about the multiverse is the first day in which we'll lose focus.

March 31, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  48. wow

some christians believe they never evolved, I'd have to agree. Sure wish they would one day though, and join civilized man.

March 31, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • Canders

Brilliant observation! I second that!

March 31, 2012 at 11:52 am |
      • 42

let me be third... better late than never.

March 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  49. Ripples

There are a lot of intellectually challenged people on this site. Thanks for the laughs.

March 31, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • wow

Sad that we have the delusional religionist still today. Wish they'd quit brainwashing their children with their nonsense. I treat religion as po-r-n and keep it away from kids. Let kids be kids without the abuse of brainwashing. If at age 18 the child wants to believe, let them. Then again the religious don't like that, the brainwashing doesn't stick as well if they wait for the child to mature first.

Religionist are like alcoholics, they need believing buddies.

March 31, 2012 at 9:53 am |
      • Mark del Villano

You are a sensible person.This world needs many more of you.

March 31, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  50. Jeff

12 and 14 billion years, not even close. Our universe is much, much, much older than that!

March 31, 2012 at 6:04 am |
    • wow

no worry, Jeff. Intelligent people know quite well it's been billions.

March 31, 2012 at 9:55 am |
      • Jeff

Intelligent people once believed that the earth was flat too. No, the universe is way older than in the billions of years.

March 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

Jeff is probably a Scientologist.

April 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  51. Monkey Boy

Yahweh was/is a multi-dimensional intelligence of extra-terrestrial origin who came to Earth many millennia ago and performed genetic experiments on the life already here. Yahweh was not the Prime Creator of the Universe. He made 'man' from primate by specific alteration and expression of already existing DNA. He then ordered his Creation to exterminate the unaltered primates and claim the resouces of the Earth in his name. Read Genesis again with this perspective... It actually makes a lot more sense, e.g. Genesis 6:2:

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Thank you Yahweh for making our women hot!

March 31, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Canders

Oh brother! What a delusional statement! Didn't G-d also give you a brain? .... or are you terrified to use it?

March 31, 2012 at 11:55 am |

LOL!!!

April 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  52. Robert Figueroa

Who the hell had a calendar back then? Was it a Nappa Calendar? Hairy Women in loin cloths were hot babes with green teeth back then. Nothing like the smell of a womans hairy armpit to set the mood!

March 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  53. GFL

The universe is precisely 4,652 years old. This fact emerges cleanly from the Book of Exodus which, as we all know, was written by scholars witnessing creation. Even science cannot dispute eyewitness testimony!

March 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • RicSanchez

Thank you for the headache from rolling my eyes too hard.

March 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • David Handy

Get real ! You have the right to believe in their own delusions. God blessed man with the ability to think and to prove the universe is more than 4000 years old. Obviously, there are people who chose not to expand their minds beyond the limit of one book.

As for being eyewitnesses to the age of the universe, a child's game proves why this information has changed over the years. There is a child's game in which one child is told a short phrase or word and it has to be repeated to the next child until it has gone around the room. By the end of the game, the word or phrase's has totally changed. This happened when people were passing the stories from one person to another.

Many stories get changed in the translation. Words in one language do not always translate into another language. People make incorrect guesses and it becomes history. Man has also been known to manipulate the Bible to support a particular point of view.

Either way, the universe is more than 4000 years old and there is real and tangible data to prove it.

March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
      • DC

You must be a morman. Or should I say a moron!

March 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
      • wow

I'm familiar with the 'failed' transfer. In fact you can tell a story to one person and have that person transfer it to the next. The 10th person is to repeat it. In all cases, the story is different from the first to the last. And that is just over a 1 hour period. Imagine if each had to wait one day before their transfer.

Now imagine a story repeated over a period of 500 years.. And also imagine how some will explode it into super-heroism.. Odd some zombie religious today actually believe wild stories repeated by primitive man. Yes, primitive.

March 31, 2012 at 9:41 am |
      • Canders

You better go back on your medication. It's not working without it!

March 31, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • thanks for the laugh

I assume that since you can spell – then you must not be that ignorant.

March 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Jon

The Bible says God took 6 days to create everything and rested 1 day. But that was God days, which are equivalent to 1000 man years each. So everything has to be at least 11652 years old by your reasoning.

March 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • cavepainter

I've heard something like this before, but I disagree. The bible says nothing about the 7 days of creation being "God days" but rather says that each of those days had an evening and a morning. They sound like normal days to me. Also when Adam died his age was given as 900something years old. Since he was created on the 6th day, if each creation day was 1000 years then he'd be at least somewhere over 1000 when he died.

Also GFL is obviously mocking Christians. Don't take what he said seriously.

Also, personally, I'm a Christian but I see no real problem with the universe as a whole being billions of years old. The account of creation doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of distant stars and galaxies already existing beforehand. Since ancient people regarded planets -as- stars that simply moved differently (e.g. the word for planet comes from the greek word for wanderer), and even regarded the sun and moon as planets, the part of the creation account that refers to the creation of the stars could just be referring to our own solar system. The sun and moon were also created that same day. Of course, I could be wrong, but it's an idea.

March 31, 2012 at 1:22 am |
      • wow

god days??? That is just toooo funny. I hope you don't have kids.

March 31, 2012 at 9:42 am |
      • Canders

And please tell me how we measured "days" since the earth wasn't created yet? Were they Venus days? Uranus days? Each are different and that doesn't count days on other worlds which could take centuries to happen.

March 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
      • Bob

Canders, clearly they were ur-anus days.

March 31, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • svann

Strawman presenting positions he does not personally believe in. aka troll

March 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Ruby

Cleverly done GFL, I had a good laugh, then read the responses and laughed some more.

March 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Rgeneration

Some people here feel their grandpa was a chimp. Well, now we know how intelligent their thinking would be. Evolution cannot fix stupid as long as stupid keep multiplying.

People who believe in Evolution need just as much faith to believe in some big bang. All they talk about is "evidence"...evidence which they themselves have never seen but have been brainwashed by their scientists and archaeologists. So....here's a banana to your ancestors.

March 31, 2012 at 12:26 am |
      • J

Scientists also brainwashed us that earth isn't flat, that chemistry isn't witchcraft, that animals have feelings and are fascinating in the systems they have built to survive, among thousands of other things.

But what would an idiot who hates life, hates humanity, understand about any of it? You just want your heaven. I say get to it sooner.

March 31, 2012 at 1:29 am |
      • Canders

You clearly don't have a clue about evolution. We did not descend from chimps... they are merely the closest to our DNA, which is scientifically proven. But we are not from them, they evolved along side us at a different rate. Thank God there are some who use the brain He gave us to understand who we are and how we came about.

March 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
      • Bob

Evolution does not say anthing about the big bang. The big bang is the headache you get from pretending to think.

March 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Sluggo

Absolutely correct! In fact, one of those scholars is still around (although long since retired). I ran into him at a bar in downtown Chicago. He told me that people used to ride dinosaurs and even held rodeos with them. Then he skipped out and stuck me with his bar tab.

March 31, 2012 at 7:57 am |
      • Futon Torpedo

Rotflmbo!!! I hate it when that happens!!

April 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Ripples

Earth itself is much older than that but God's latest creation- before he destroyed it and started over- is about 5k years. Don't worry, God will reset the clock again soon enough and in another thousand years whatever stone age society that lives on earth will be having this same discussion.

March 31, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • Stan

You are a moron. Congrats.

March 31, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Reality

The bible was created in the 6th century by men.

Without Constantine, there would be no Christianity.

Religion has historically been used more as a control than anything else.

All religions are the same. They are representations of man's need to have some kind of understanding as to why we are here.

The fossil record goes back millions of years.

Do yourself a favor and learn how the universe was actually created. It's more mind blowing than any religion, book, or hocus pocus stories. Humans in the past needed religion to try and deal with the idea of existence and the eternal question of "what does it all mean?". We've evolved since then. We have furthered our knowledge. Well... most of us have.

The big bang, to me is proof of 'god' if any proof is out there to be had. To think that any human or organization, could actually be so arrogant to suggest that they have it all figured out and we should listen to them, makes me shake my head that people could be so unbelievably, epically, ignorant.. The religious folks usually ask us for money right after they tell us they know the score.

Existence is scary. I get it. Things like 'Jesus', 'Ala,' 'Buddah', etc. make us feel better. It simplifies it for us. It's hard to look at the universe and accept that maybe it's just out here in the abyss, but once you open your mind to the idea and get educated, it opens new levels of understanding.

Before the big bang, there was NOTHING. Space only looks like space, because all of the matter in it gives us a spacial reference when we look at it. But before the big bang it was just nothingness. Then... out of this nothingness, came an energy event so massive that it created all matter in the universe within a second or two (E=mc2). Galaxies, stars, black holes, dark matter, dark energy, you, me, EVERYTHING. Even the laws of physics were created in the first few seconds of the big bang. AND IT CAME OUT OF NOTHING.

They are now discovering that the super massive black holes that we can see at the center of our galaxy and others are probably created other big bangs on the other side. We could all be part of a bubbling cauldron of universes. OUT OF NOTHING. To me, that is the best argument for some kind of god there could be.

Don't believe the hocus pocus. Why would you want other humans to have a control over you?

The greedy and the powerful want you to stay uneducated. It blows my mind that you would be OK with that.

March 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
      • worldlypatriotusaveteran

Good arguments! A voice of reason and rationality!

March 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
      • Mark

damn good post.

April 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • 42

ROTLFLMAO

March 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • DC

you are an idiot

March 31, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • bam

religious nutcases only ADJUST things after science shows them to be wrong.... therefore they BELIEVE In science or they would not be altering the holy books written by man for man

April 1, 2012 at 2:40 am |
  54. RJG808

Excellent comments. Not to change the subject, not even looking for a response, but I'll comment to this effect. It often surprises me how educated, professional, rational-leaning minds can combine insightful and accurate comments, with blanket statements. We all have things to learn. Consider :

1) Faith is not an explicitly religious statement. One acts on faith every time one attempts something they've never done, but believe to be possible, whether based on their own deduction or witnessing another's attempt.

2) Faith in God, or a god, is a theory to the question of "Why?" which we all ask [the vast majority of the earth's population ascribes to some religious belief]. Scientific minded colleagues have empirical evidence, while faith-followers attest to having a changed life or priorities which often lead to more selfless lives, marginally as they may be. (Indeed, statistics show faith communities are the leaders in charity donations and volunteers).

The world needs both knowledge and a measure of selflessness if we hope to survive, or 'save the planet' by our daily actions. To not concede this is doing a disservice to ourselves and communities.

March 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • wow

faith has no scientific or factual basis, it's in the same rank as delusional.

I'd think a child's faith in a boogie man would be a complete waste of time researching.

March 31, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Kevin

I agree with your first point, but your assertion that religion equates with selflessness seems to come out of left field. Religious belief does not necessarily make one selfless, and non-believers are more than capable of being selfless, some could argue more so since their selflessness is not motivated from fear of divine punishment. Let's please separate human virtues from the concept of God. Religion at the core is simply a belief in the supernatural.

March 31, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • MN

The cake is a lie.

April 1, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • bam

the funny thing is if religious nutcases didnt believe science they would be ADJUSTING things because of science. the creatonism bs only started after science archeologists etc proved evolution... sooner or later there will be more loony explanations of fertilizing a human egg with no pollywog.... and I cant wait for the vaticans excuse for not allowing the carbon dating of the shroud of dirtin when non intrusive lasers can date things... etc etc etc...

April 1, 2012 at 2:39 am |
  55. WK

So I've wondered about this for a bit. We start with two givens: 1), the speed of light is constant in a vacuum and nothing can accelerate faster than it. 2) light is affected by gravity as evidenced by seeing light bend around large planets/stars. So my question is, if light is headed directly toward a large planet, why doesn't the planet's gravity accelerate the light to a higher speed?

March 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Newton's butler.

Because the same gravity that "accelerates" it also "slows" it down afterwards. In fact, there is no acceleration. The color shifts to a bluer tone, then it shifts back towards a "slower" redder tone. Speed, however is never affected because Light and Time are joined at the hip. At the speed of light, time stops. It simply cannot go faster, because nothing exist "beyond" that speed. (More or less.)

March 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

Good question and good answer (at the speed of light time stops). I had not thought of either the question or the answer before, but they both make sense.

April 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Jon

Our universe is the surface of a hypersphere (or the 3D equivalent). The hypersphere is getting bigger as time goes by. The radius in getting longer. When something travels fast, centrifugal force pushes it in that direction. It may travel faster than light speed. But we only see how far it's traveled in our universe (when we finally get there). And it seems to us that it took longer to get there.

March 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  56. wut eva

Yawn !

March 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • JT

Low IQ will do that to you.

March 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
      • LB

Haha!

March 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  57. Drowlord

Pictures of galaxies always confuse me a bit... If they're 100,000 light years wide, wouldn't our view of the far side be 100,000 years older than our view of the near side? Wouldn't we see some kind of pinching due to motion and time? And wouldn't the part spiraling away from us be red-shifting, and the part spiraling toward us be blue-shifting? Why do galaxy photos look like still art, when they should have all kinds of temporal and spectrum anomalies?

March 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • modehead

That's a great question and I'm sure an astrophysicist would be able to give you a clear answer. It probably won't be concise, but it'll be clear. Google around for space geek forums and I'm sure you'll get a clear answer.

One bit of info this layman can give you: hubble (and other telecopes like it) aren't traditional cameras.

March 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • DSBsky

I'm guessing, computer assisted rendering, of actual pictures..

March 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Chris

The red shift and blue shift don't show up in these kind of pictures. The wavelength shift simply isn't that large. With an accurate spectrometer you can measure it, but not here. You are correct that the far side is 100,000 years younger than the near side. But again the rotation rate is very slow. The sun takes ~250 million years to go around once and we between the center and the edge. So in 100,000 years it only goes around 0.1 degrees, not enough to cause a big blur.

March 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
      • Chris

Also I should mention that when they take these pictures, they use filters to look at certain wavelengths (colors) of light, then combine them into the pretty pictures we see. Like your camera which takes pictures in red, green and blue then combines them to look realistic. Just the telescopes have many more colors it looks at.

March 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
      • The Mad Zak

I was going to reply with the same answer Chris gave. I constantly read where images are composites created from photos of serveral different spectrums of light.

In addition to what Chris said about the slow rotation of galaxies remember that they are billions of years old. While light from the opposite side is 100,000 years older, the general shape of the galaxy would not have changed much in 100,000 years. Meaning, the viewer would not see the "near" side as a matured galaxy with its spiral arms, and the "far" side as an infant galaxy still in a cluster.

April 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Grizz

99/100, these are "artist renderings" based on pictures that the telescopes have taken. If its this colorful, I can almost guarantee an artist touched it either digitally or hand-painted/drew it.

March 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • cavepainter

I've never thought about this before. That's a really cool thought. :)

March 31, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • 42

Very astute.. and yes, light is red shifted and blue shifted on the retreating and advancing sides of the spinning galaxies respectively, however, when you refer to red and blue shifting, it is rarely shifted enough for us to detect it visually. It is, however visible in spectrgraphic photos. Using spectrographic photography, astronomers discovered the first extra-solar system planets by observing the motions of stars, but is is a phenomenon that is far below the threshhold of human visibility. Great question though!

March 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  58. Caveman

Is there a way to cheat linear space travel via wormholes?... possibly, but only if you prefer to get crushed from solid matter to energy with the frequency ranging into the TeraHertz range... or you can visit your local black hole and get the same affect, but even in the center of those.. wormholes are not present.

March 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  59. Shelly

True, but so are people like you.

March 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  60. cybercmdr

All these galaxies out there are millions if not billions of light years away. That means that it took that long for the light from those galaxies to reach us. Kinda hard to do if the Universe is only 6000 years old....

March 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • CoastalOne

How is the universe 6000 years old?

March 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
      • anon

No said or even suggested the galaxy was 6,000 yrs old. The true idiots are the ones here who ridicule religion based on an innacurate assumption.

Even the bible doesn't even suggest that the universe is only 6,000 yrs old. It doesn't even suggest that that the EARTH is that old. Carnal, secular Christianity has "evolved" into quite the monster. But hey, my kiddo's like to dream up alot of fantasies simply because they are young and foolish. It doesn't mean they don't have a creator (me) nor does it mean that they are correct.

The human race is young and stupid.

March 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
      • anon

The earth is 4.5 billion years old? Well, maybe. The problem is is that I lack the faith to take these scientists at their word for what they CLAIM is scientific fact. I have no way of finding out for myself the age of the earth or the universe. Faith is for the ignorant, so I just won't use it. If you can't see and discover things using your own intellect, then it is easily dismissable.

March 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
      • anon

I know a growing number of folks don't think we should keep the faith, and I'm at the point to where I agree. I also think it should go both ways. Why should we blindly follow what is claimed by the science world? We just assume they aren't lying and are being completely honest with us on this topic. We have complete faith in their honesty, and in the accuracy of whatever equipment (manmade) that is used.

My own philosophy is now as follows: If I can't make the discovery's for myself and with my own senses, be it biblical teachings OR science, then it's accuracy will continue to remain suspect as far as I'm concerned. This is probably pretty arrogant when you consider the size of the human brain against the planet, and that against the solar system, and THAT against the universe, and anything else that may be beyond.

I don't think our miniscule minds will EVER grasp the big picture.

March 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
      • anon

I don't think our miniscule minds will EVER grasp the big picture.

March 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
      • anon

If science in our day is considered SO important, then why is such a small amount being put into NASA while such a large sum is squandered in welfare for the ignorant and lazy? Notice I said lazy and not temporarily unemployed or disabled.

I agree with Hawking when he said a few years back that we DESPERATELY need to find a way off this planet. Folks want to bash religion and make nasty comments about the spiritual on these sites, but no one wants to go out there and picket, and occupy for more science funding. Or they want to support these ignorant politicans who can't understand why it's easier to put a man in space rather then the bottom of the ocean.

Not attacking on this question, just curious: Do any anti religion, or God types on here know why it's easier? Something tellls me the responses are going to make me cry. :(

kidding

March 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
      • anon

I would like to know who knows the answer to that question and where they stand on God and religion?

March 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
      • WhatsamattaU

Anon – It's easier to put a man in space because you have to design your vehicle to contain only 12-14 psi of atmosphere without leaking. For deep ocean journeys, you have to construct your vehicle to withstand pressure from the ocean that's up to a thousand times greater.

March 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Mister Jones

Shhh!!! The people who believe that have no comprehension what you are talking about. Please do not make their head explode.

March 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Shelly

Shhhh, you're scaring the religious idiots out there.

March 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • TruthBeTold

The universe is 13.75 Billion years old. The Earth is 4.5 billion years old.

March 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Arno

The universe... 6000 years old??? As per my latest reading... between 12 and 14 billion years...

March 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  61. SnaggleToothTimmy

Somewhere is this galaxy Chewbacca is brusing his teeth.

March 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |