July 9th, 2012

Earth as you've never seen it before

Happy Monday! Check out This is Our Planet from Tomislav Safundžić on Vimeo (the music is "Intro" by The XX):

This time-lapse video was compiled from photos from the International Space Station.

Safundžić is an 18-year-old from Croatia, according to his Vimeo page. The photography came from the Image Science & Analysis Laboratory at NASA Johnson Space Center.

The video has become a sensation on the Web.

Astronaut Col. Ron Garan, who spent part of last year aboard the International Space Station, posted the video to his Google+ page last week with the endorsement "Well worth the 2 minutes!"

Post by:
Filed under: Hardware in Orbit • In Space • News
  1. CD

Always learning. Always rediscovering. Christopher Dycha

July 28, 2012 at 9:01 am |
  2. Derek

That was very beautiful but then you stop and think of what we have done. Looking at all those lights it shows that we have made an enormous footprint on the earth and its not sustainable. What will it look like in 50 years?

July 18, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  3. Daniel

That is really nice. Beautiful.

July 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  4. A-rod

what is that blue statick shock 1:42 into the video? is it lightning?

July 10, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • AB

yes that is lightning

July 11, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  5. Xavier

that was just amassing that made my day thank you cnn

July 10, 2012 at 3:41 am |
  6. illy

all praise to the most high.

July 10, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  7. Lance Webster

Yes....something Americans...and Russians...and others....did TOGETHER. For a change. That is almost as beautiful as the visuals.

July 10, 2012 at 1:05 am |
  8. William Nettie

Hey, wait.. I see a sign in the corner of the picture! What! It says there is a walmart and mcdonalds coming to this location in spring of 2014. Wait, that is not fair. What about burger king and wendy's?

July 10, 2012 at 12:59 am |
  9. trieu

nices !eath and great!

July 9, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  10. abbydelabbey

beautiful...

July 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  11. sim namore

Don't watch this if you've been drinking.

July 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  12. BlooBloo

Simply amazing.

July 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Debra

Gorgeous. We sometimes forget how small we are in the grand scheme of things.

July 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  13. keith barrett

It's sad how we have all lost ourselves. Don't you realize how we have lost our Earth? That's why it looks like a desert! The human race can/is so ingnorant to the reality they live every day. Increased hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquake, etc. I want, I want, I want! Wait until you have not! It's coming! GOD will not care who's side you were on! The result will be the same! So go ahead and kill someone and see what happens! Prove me wrong!

July 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • Tom

You my friend, have a problem......

July 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
      • hma1218

I agree with u Tom... lol

July 10, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Zaechariah

You and those like you, my non-friend, are whats wrong with humanity.... Did the enlightenment era mean nothing? Humankind has made such great strides, only to be interrupted by you and the ignorant people you most likely vote for... Read a book about the cosmos. You're god is small time.

July 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  14. RCDC

How about moon base?

July 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  15. Latzi

I tried to recognized places...couldn't.

July 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  16. Latzi

The lights look close. It's as if you can see each light individually. Fascinating.

July 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  17. LMCofVAbeach

Love the video! Allows you to let go of your worries and stresses, while you grasp the bigger picture of life and what is important in it. Get a sense of belonging to the Universe.

July 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Latzi

Yes...and I have concluded that the only important thing is fishing.

July 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
      • LMCofVAbeach

July 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  18. Peter Grenader

CNN: Come come.... HAve you nevdr heard of protocol? it's SEE EARTH AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HER, not it.

Some may call this being overly picky, I call it overly lazy (that's one to you: editors).

July 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • jc

Have you never heard of spelling checkers or proper use of punctuation?

July 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Latzi

God did not create a female earth. "It" is fine!

July 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
  19. Kyle

Love the video. Very cool footage. Well done Safundžić. If it was slowed down by half, it'd be amazing. I wanted more time to process what I was seeing.... So I downloaded it and time stretched it out to 4 minutes. Even better

July 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  20. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Now, it would be nice if God would send a hurricane, twister or some kind of plague to wipe out bigotry, racism and hate from the face of the earth! Hey, it was not my intention to say anything bad about republicans, conservatives, birthers and tea partiers!

July 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Steve

Well speaking of hate you seem to be the one wishing for a disaster to kill people you don't agree with. Just saying.

July 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Chuck

You forgot democrats

July 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  21. joy

isnt Gods creation wonderful !!! thank you God for such a beautiful place to live

July 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • EvikJames

Riiiiiiiiiiight, God made that. Maybe if he had help from Santa Claus, Batman, or the Easter Bunny. Not by himself though.

July 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
      • Chuck

He did'nt need help from those guys

July 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The world aint that beautiful when there are still republicans, conservatives, tea partiers, birthers, communists, nazzis, confederates and the likes still around!

July 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  22. TheBob

This isn't earth. The Bible says the world is flat, fixed and rests on pillars. This is heresy. Somebody needs to get burned at the stake so that everyone else understands you don't f__k with the Word of God.

July 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Matt

You can't be serious with this remark?

July 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • itis

TheBob, very poorly disguised attempt at feigning to be a fundamentalist christian. You come acroos only as "TheBOOB"

July 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
      • Anonymous

Sarcasm....you are dumb.

July 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Lance Webster

Plus...God didn't invent electricity. People did....and spread it all around.

July 10, 2012 at 1:03 am |
      • musd

GOD don't create electricity its human, but who give the brain to human, who create human and the whole universe?????????

July 10, 2012 at 2:18 am |
  23. Adam

Look at how bare the Earth is. Earth's landscapes are starting to look like Mars.

July 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
  24. BlueDogMS

Absolutely incredible video.

July 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  25. John

Hey, I can see us polluting, destroying and consuming everything on it!

July 9, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  26. Ahh...

Beautiful video and awesome music. It's entertaining. Thanks Tom for compiling all these pictures.

July 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  27. Linda Luttrell

Absolutely beautiful, music and photos!

July 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  28. Bydr

A big blue ball of grief is all I see. Pretty pictures should never be used to mask reality. Kinda like America itself.

July 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Mendozian

So, you're the glass-half-empty sort, right?

July 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • tomtom

So do you mean North America or South America?

July 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • KK

Agreed. The more they zoom out, the farther from reality it gets. The more they zoom in, the uglier it gets.

July 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
      • HaHa

You really can't open the eyes of pessimists... You can only sit back and laugh at them...

July 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
      • BigLuvins

KK, I'd have to say it's the complete opposite. The further you get from the earth shows the true reality. The reality is that your reality is truly insignificant in the grand scope. We are next to nothing.

July 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Isk4187

Wow what a negative person. Please don't subject us to your very narrow viewpoint of life.

July 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Vega

You see what you see because you are not enlightened...such a childish comment can only come from a small thinker with a limited I.Q. Don't worry, your lack of intelligence is most likely genetic in nature, therefore not being your fault that you turned out the sad and pathetic way that you did.

July 10, 2012 at 1:38 am |
  29. Beautiful...

It's a pity we're killing it.

July 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  30. Velleis

The Earth is a jewel in the darkness of space this should be the main reason for us the children of this beautiful planet to take care of it and one day in the future reach out into the vastness of space and find other worlds like it but not as wonderful as home .

July 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  31. Frank

I applaud CNN for posting this piece of social media goodness front and center on the cnn.com portal.

July 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  32. Prezence

Intro is such a great song along with the video

July 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Will

Yes, I love this song. I thought it was glitch mob at first, but at the end of the vid it tells you its The XX. It pops up on my pandora all the time. Amazing vid.

July 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  33. margo

how beautiful it is , I wish we can keep it clean and green !

July 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  34. Aziz

This really shows how great the High Supreme Being (God) is. He is the only one who can create these planets and arrange them in such a way that no one else could, but rather, explore and admire. Praise and Glory is to the Almighty God.

July 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • bob

This is the reason people get mad at religious people, keep your beliefs to yourself ands top trying to let your fairy in the sky take credit for everything.

July 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
      • DOnny

bob, couldnt just let it go huh. nothing aziz said was in a negative form, why not just let it be?

July 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
      • Laokan

Yes,religion credits everything splendid to themselves and attribute all those bad to others.

July 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
      • TinKnight

Hey bob, I'm an agnostic, but why do you practice what you preach.

If you don't like someone else espousing their (in this case) positive religious views, why spout off your negative religious views as a means to silence them?

The belief in the lack of a God is just as much a religion as the belief in the existence of God...stating there isn't a God is no more justified or supported than the statement that there is a God.

You, sir, are the reason why people don't take kindly to people of agnostic or atheistic beliefs.

July 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • TinKnight

Errrr..."why don't you practice what you preach"...fingers fell behind my mind. :)

July 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
      • Tom

A-Men!

July 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
      • Zaechariah

Aziz' comment gives credit to God based on no factual criteria. Tthe fact of the matter is, the God that he believes in most likely comes from books and legends that contradict most of what science has learned about the cosmos, and there is no evidence whatsoever that God created anything. He is making assertions with no evidence and it undermines everything science has achieved throughout the years.

July 31, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
      • Zaechariah

TinKnight. You dont understand atheism at all. No rational atheist would assert that he "knows" there isnt a god, implying some sort of proof. I, as an atheist, can't disprove the existence of god and I never claim to be able to. There is however a systematic way to place the burden of proof in the right direction. I don't need to prove that there isn't a god beause....well.... I don't believe in him!
        You have the observable world we live in, trees, rocks, atoms, air molecules etc. and religious people claim that there is something else that exists that can't be seen, felt... something supernatural. So lets pretend I walk up to any of you saying that I'm a world renown chemist, and I have come up with a pill that makes you ten times smarter and hand you a bottle of pills, would you take it if I seemed legitimate? Maybe I wrote an elaborate pamphlet that states all the wonders that my mystical pill can do.... No, you wouldn't. You would want to see my degree, you would want to see if it's FDA approved, because I'm asserting the pill can practically perform miracles, the burden of proof is on me.
        Not one single religious person can provide any sort of tangible evidence, or proof, that supports the statement that only god can create planets and such... therefore, as a person who believes that Aziz is unjustly giving credit to for the planets and such, reserve the right say whatever the heck I want.

July 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
      • Zaechariah

Please forgive the poor spelling and grammar. I am somewhat rushed at the moment.

July 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • itis

Aziz, I don't even think you are religious. I think you're just some low wattage athiest trying to malign genuine people. Boo, shame.

July 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • steve

Hey, Aziz what did santa bring you for x-mas?

July 10, 2012 at 5:57 am |
      • Priest

Wow, Steve. This beautiful planet is more threatened by all the idiots like you, itiz, Bob and TinKnight who pick at each other for nothing in a snarky attempt to get the last word. I'm with you, Brother Aziz. Let's rejoice in the glory of Creation instead of spending time in useless heckling.

July 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  35. Juice

Georgous Video.

July 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  36. Mark

beautiful, all the more reason we need to continue funding U.S. space exploration

July 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  37. absolutely

Just awesome

July 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  38. Convoluted

nice job...we live on a beautiful planet now if we can get the nitwits that run it to see that nasty cabal!

July 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  39. Jacob

Damn! This is made by the ISS shuttle Soyuz but unfortunately I was hoping it was an American shuttle, anyway. It is so awesome to see life from space and how Earth looks like from those tiny windows on the shuttles used by the astronauts to made check-in and outs.

July 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm |