Share your tributes to Sally Ride
July 23rd, 2012

Share your tributes to Sally Ride

Sally Ride was perhaps best known as the first American woman in space, but that was only one of her accomplishments.

Ride was the only person who served on investigative commissions for the Space Shuttle Challenger and Space Shuttle Columbia accidents, according to NASA. She was also an advocate for improving science education and founded Sally Ride Science. The company's mission is to inspire more girls and young women to go into science, math and technology.

The White House issued a statement calling Ride a "national hero and a powerful role model."

She died Monday at 61 after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer.

Share your tributes to the late Sally Ride with iReport, or in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: On Earth
  1. Dana

RIP Sally Ride. You were an inspiration to all females, young and old alike. I was so proud of you when you made your trip into space, in awe is a more accurate description. Thank you for you committment to science, math and technology.

August 22, 2012 at 1:33 am |
  2. IsmetSaric

Bon Voyage Sally, with God speed, space is all yours now.

August 2, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  3. bill

Ride on "Mustang Sally" you let the way. RIP

August 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Misty

Thanks for giving girls the hope of not only a dream but a reality that they can be anything they want to be! God Speed Sally you are someone us girls looked up to.

July 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  5. GEORGANN

RIDE SALLY RIDE, to the heavens and beyond.

July 28, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  6. Emil Catalin

Even if you died, your spirit will forever ride. Ride, Sally, ride!

July 26, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
  7. Madeline Coven

I have only this to say: may our legacies, like Sally Ride's, be mostly good ones.

July 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  8. Nicole

Thank you, Dr. Ride.

When I was in 3rd grade we had to go around the classroom and say who our heros were. You were mine. Thanks to you and the other brave women for leading the way for the rest of us.

July 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  9. Gregg

In 1981 I was a technician working at Rockwell in California building the space shuttle Challenger. Sally Ride was visiting the facility as a lot of the astronauts did, when she came by and stopped to talk to me, introducing herself and asking me about the task I was doing and we discussed technical issues relating to the shuttle. I was so impressed, she was so very informed, intelligent and articulate and I remember the entire conversation to this day. It is one of the high points of my aerospace career and I have met and worked with a lot of pilots and astronauts. We have lost a true American hero much too early. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

July 25, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  10. Bud

I knew and worked with Sally while employed at Houston's JSC. She was a great gal and a great friend. She will be missed by many, myself included.

July 25, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  11. dannythered

Sally Ride will not be forgotten.

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  12. Victoria

RIP, Dr. Ride. You were a brilliant scientist, astronaut, and teacher. Like Captain Alan Poindexter, another hero is gone. But neither shall be forgotten.

July 25, 2012 at 1:05 am |
  13. Lana King

Sally Ride broke the glass stratosphere.

July 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  14. Maureen

Thank you Sally, for being such an inspiration to so many for so long. My condolences to her partner and family.

July 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  15. James Simon

God's speed Sally Ride!!! You've done all peoples proud!!!

July 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  16. Marina

As a Girl Scout, I understand the importance of a strong female role model. Sally Ride has inspired me to break stereotypes, especially those pertaining to math and science. She even got me interested in a career in aerospace engineering. I mourn the loss of such a strong woman. Rest in peace. Women like her can never be replaced.

July 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Bill Tyrrell

Marina, Loved you post. Sally: You broke more barriers for women than you are given credit for, especially for gay women. Tam, my condolences to you as well as to Sally's Family. You inspired a generation of girls and young women Sally.... God's Speed Sally Ride. I will always love, respect and miss you... and mourn your crossing to the next adventure of the soul....

July 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  17. Janet

An exceptional woman! may your flight forever soar above us!

July 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • G. Gentry

RIDE SALLY RIDE.......to the heavens and beyond.

July 28, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  18. David Hearn

While she was still at Stanford, Sally took the initiative to become a guest observer on the Small Astronomy Satellite-3, run by MIT. As the post-doc who devised the soft x-ray detectors she would use, I got to know her as soon as she came to MIT. She was extremely bright, energetic, and very likable. I was thrilled when she became an astronaut, and thought she was perfectly suited to the job. We will all miss her greatly.

July 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  19. sarah white

What a gracious, passionate, courageous life she lived. What an inspiration for us all, especially girls & women! So many of us have admired her achievements & spirit for all of our lives. We feel as if we were launched with her in 1983. Then and now she will always be in our & our daughters' hearts.

July 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  20. nsaidi

Hi guys, thank you all for the great comments! My name is Nicole Saidi and I am a writer/producer with CNN.com, and I work with readers' posts. We shared a few of our favorites (couldn't pick them all!) in the latest post on the blog, along with tweets: http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/twitter-remembers-sally-ride/

I would also encourage you to share your story on CNN iReport because it looks like a lot of you have great memories: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-819046

July 24, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  21. davidobenson

I am sorry to hear of your passing. You were always a hero of mine. I wish the best to your loved ones, and I hope that you rest in peace.

July 24, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  22. Maria Spelleri

In the mid-70s Sally came to speak at my all-girl high school- as young and excited as she appears in the photo on this page. She was just a few years older than us- cool, pretty, smart, and taking on a "man's world". I asked her for her autograph that day. Over the years her autograph has turned up in various drawers, carried with me through various relocations, and I've remembered her and will remember her fondly and with pride on behalf of all women.

July 24, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  23. Janet

A true American hero and inspiration to all. Prayers to the family

July 24, 2012 at 8:58 am |