Kepler or not, we'll find life in space
This artist's illustration represents the variety of planets being detected by NASA's Kepler spacecraft.
May 20th, 2013

Kepler or not, we'll find life in space

Editor's note: Meg Urry is the Israel Munson professor of physics and astronomy and chairwoman of the department of physics at Yale University, where she is the director of the Yale Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics.

(CNN) - On Wednesday, NASA officials announced a serious problem with the Kepler satellite, the world's most successful planet-finding machine.

Since its launch four years ago, Kepler has found more than 2,700 possible planets orbiting stars other than our Sun, of which more than 100 have been confirmed. A few of these exoplanets resemble the Earth in size or mass.

Recently, three Earth-like planets were even reported to be in the habitable zone: close enough to the star they orbit that water is liquid, yet not so close that it is boiling. Planets with liquid water may well harbor life.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: In Space • Kepler • Voices
  1. Vic

:I :roll: :(
    %-(

May 24, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • Vic
      May 25, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  2. kobe jennings

space is a dream.

May 22, 2013 at 10:00 am |
  3. david campbell100

up to I looked at the receipt ov $5535, I accept ...that...my friends brother was truly bringing home money parttime on their computer.. there sisters roommate had bean doing this for only about seven months and just now took care of the morgage on their cottage and bourt a gorgeous Bugatti Veyron. go to............. Fℴx85.ℂℴm

May 21, 2013 at 3:42 am |
  4. Buck Rogers

"Kepler or not, we'll find life in space"

Amen NASA.... amen.....

May 20, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
    • ? everything

Buck, so are you implying that ever since NASA faked the moon landings that they virtually fake everything? Why this conjecture actually makes sense, but why such an elaborate hoax?

May 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
      • Matthew Black

The guy is a spamming troll, ? everything. Hanging around spamming CNN comments section and trying to get hits on his comedy website. I try to ignore him, though it seems he has nothing else in his life but his delusions. To quote Mr T: "I pity the fool". Next thing is he'll be trying to tell us the first people to climb Mt Everest didn't and that no one has actually been to the North Pole or the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific Ocean. Sh1t – Hope I didn't give him any ideas...

May 21, 2013 at 2:58 am |
      • Buck Rogers

?, I can sense that you're a 'free thinker', but be careful as many sheeple will 'label' you....

Anyway, unlike mr. Black (of whom I have already explained the true physics of hypersonic reentry which vaporizes any and all material), many folks are waking up to NASA's massive fraud, which actually began during WWII. All of the Nazi scientists knew that a human could not survive space, much less a 8km/sec meteoric reentry, hence the whole thing was, is, and always will be a 'show' to con the masses. Reason? Astro-evolution. Indeed, NASA's "origins program" is designed to promote non-scientific evolution while trying to 'debunk' Genesis. It's all going to quickly unravel, and folks like mr. Black's heart will faint, and fear will grip the masses because mankind's evolutionary 'knowledge' has been exposed as nothing but a fairytale 'backed' by fraud.

I see you already don't buy into the lunar landings via the 'three foil thick' LEM, good for you. Now you can go from there as the truth will set you free...

May 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
      • Matthew Black

Buck Rogers; Hypersonic re-entry – ever heard of ablation? Probes and capsules have been doing it for over 60 years, even ones from competing 'enemy' countries who could have 'exposed' their enemies when the ships didn't work – they did. And I see by your baffling, needless inclusion of Genesis in this, er, 'discussion' that it is you who are ranting – with each and every sentence you bother to type. Evolution is a FACT – go do a science degree and learn that fact. Hah! My degree is English :) Anyway, let me tell you: if I believe in God, it's in SPITE of my upbringing and education, not because of it. God aint some old, medieval geezer with a beard who lives above the clouds. If he exists, he's far more subtle, complex and wonderful than anything in your narrow, weird viewpoint and 2 thousand year old writings. God allows science to exist and allows us to learn. We know a lot about evolution and astronomy, but we still have a lot to learn, I grant you. So have you it seems. You'd sound like you would belong with the Westboro Baptists if you weren't so polite and relatively articulate. Go forth and learn stuff – its not too late. If anything I've just wrote annoys/angers/baffles you, then it may be too late to reach you. But only you can decide that. Go with God, I guess... (Huh!! Does that sound like the 'Ravings' of a 'Sheeple?' I think not...)

June 12, 2013 at 7:44 am |
    • kobe jennings

buck rogers?

May 22, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  5. Big Shiz

I harbor life inside my planets.

May 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • kobe jennings

big shiz i love you man!

May 22, 2013 at 9:59 am |