May 10th, 2013

What's new on Mars: 78,000 apply to go

By Elizabeth Landau, CNN

Leave it all behind and start anew on a planet no humans have occupied - how does that sound? More than 78,000 people applied to go on a one-way trip to Mars, through Mars One, an organization aiming to put four people on the Red Planet by 2023.

Apparently, they are unfazed by the idea that they can never come back or that taking showers on the way there would not be an option.

The applications came from more than 120 countries, although the United States led with 17,324 applications, the Dutch company said.

Said CEO Bas Lansdorp in a statement: “Mars One is a mission representing all humanity, and its true spirit will be justified only if people from the entire world are represented. I’m proud that this is exactly what we see happening."

It's unclear whether enough money will be raised to actually fulfill the plan. There are also practical issues: Can the kinks in having a sustainable system for people to survive in such a harsh environment be worked out by 2023?

It's not too late to apply - applications will be accepted until August 31.

More on this story

What Buzz Aldrin wants

Meanwhile, Buzz Aldrin has also caught Mars fever. He said in an exclusive CNN Light Years commentary that the United States should make a commitment to going to Mars.

"There’s a window of opportunity ahead for a bold, Kennedy-like proclamation that placed the nation in the 1960s on a moon-bound trajectory: 'I believe this nation should commit itself, within two decades, to commencing American permanence on the planet Mars,' " he wrote.

He advocates for a permanent human presence on Mars by the 2030 to 2040 decade. If Mars One's vision comes true, that could happen even earlier - but, again, the money and the technology need to be there to make it happen.

What Curiosity is doing

Right now, NASA's intrepid rover Curiosity is already on the planet. The 2-ton machine has been using its sophisticated tool kit seeking evidence that Mars was once habitable.

Curiosity has been taking a four-week vacation to get some upgrades on its operating software. During this time, the rover still gathered data on the planet's atmosphere. Mission specialists did not tell the rover to move, however. Because of the relative positions of our planet, Mars and the sun, the commands might have been blocked or corrupted.

In the coming days, Curiosity will begin moving again toward a new target, which scientists have named Cumberland. This will serve as the second place for Curiosity to try out its drill. The first drilling activity, at a rock called John Klein, brought up evidence that microbial life could have lived on the planet.

These two drilling sites are similar and are nine feet apart. An important distinction is that Cumberland seems to have more granules that cause clumps of minerals, called concretions, that formed when the rock was soaked in water long ago.

The Science Seat will return next week.

Post by:
Filed under: Mars
  1. Glinda Beuther

Wonderful collection, Eric, appreciate it. Bookmarked and shared 🙂

August 9, 2013 at 3:05 am |
  2. dish

Good day very cool website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I am happy to seek out a lot of useful information right here within the publish, we want develop extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

June 30, 2013 at 5:42 am |
  3. montra--trimek--pig--thailand

possible of–future-–citizen–world

June 10, 2013 at 7:45 am |
  4. montra--trimek--pig--thailand

i–want–go–to–project–mars–one

June 10, 2013 at 7:43 am |
  5. deepak singh rawat

I want to go out of my planet earth. And Want to become the first man to mars plz...plz...

May 25, 2013 at 2:01 am |
  6. I AM ONE OF THEM...

I REGISTERED TO GO SOME MUST PIONEER AND START ...WE MUST Start the first step...why not we gone die any way...
    I AM QUALIFIED TO DO THE JOB.......

May 20, 2013 at 2:03 am |
  7. Joe6pK

Cannot believe all these fundamentalists are invading so many science sites. Other then nonsense they bring nothing, except for child like scratchings and even dumber understanding of the real world we live in. But as a 67 veteran who grew up in an american household I was told science was the place we went to be prepared, trained for skill-job that could get you paid enough you could afford a family life. While religions use to be thought of as a source for moral and ethical foundation training for US born human citizens. Then the plague of fundamentalist crap started spreading and now christian fundamentalists and Muslim want to dominate us to the point of fighting wars to prove who's religion can kill the most, turning these cults into a haven for usurpers, traitors, 5th columnists whose loyalty is for hire to the highest bidder. With not a scintilla of concern for the average citizen. only their child-like dogma. The good news is that the continued cretin behavior will help sweep religion off the planet Earth in one lifetime, rather then the two originally believed in 1997. [Using a gop/crackhead christian trick] No source assumptions, with being contemptuous of facts and reality, while synonymously shouting over any other opinion. Or like in this case, overwhelming intelligent sites with dumb-asses, or like I like to phrase it, being invaded by 7th century throwbacks, whose only aim is to bring our nation down to 7th century, sterile, Theocratic state. Keep it up crackhead christians!

May 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  8. William

Send them all.

May 15, 2013 at 4:54 am |
  9. Elroy Jetson

You silly earthlings! I've been to Mars many times. They have a really great amusement park there. I love riding that space mountain! Ah yes, good times.

May 13, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  10. Bruce Thomas

what the hell!! why do my comments not post!!!!!!

May 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • Bruce Thomas

This isn't FAIR!!! I CAN'T SIT HERE AND WATCH PEOPLE TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMETHING I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO KNOW!! I'VE BEEN DISOWNED FROM MY FAMILY, LOST MY HOME, MY CAR, AND MY DREAMS TO SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I WERE OLD ENOUGH AND KNEW HOW TO I WOULD SEW THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THIS ARTICLE AND "CAME UP WITH" THIS PLAN!!!! IT ISN'T FAIR TO BE YOUNG NOW! THE ECONOMY SUCKS, YOU PUT A LOT INTO A DREAM ONLY TO GET LAUGHED AT AND NOW SOMEONE ELSE DOES IT AND THEY GET 78,000 APPLICATIONS!!! I WANT TO SPEAK TO NICOLE WILLETT, ELIZABETH LANDAU, AND SOPHIA DENGO MYSELF!!!! PLEASE REPLY SOMEONE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!!

May 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • Bruce Thomas

So seriously no one is trying to reply to my message? This whole operation is going to be nothing but a complete failure! Your numbers are all wrong and sending 2 people every year? Yes, to those who said it was a suicide mission, you are correct. If this feat is attempted, I hope God watches over you all. If you want this to work as a God REINFORCED plan, let me help you.

May 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  11. readymade

I signed up

May 12, 2013 at 5:02 am |
  12. helenecha

Believe it or not, getting your family and your next generations earn as much as enough money on Earth is better than winning a one-way ticket to Mars now. The stunning houses and active facilities will be incredibly expensive one day on Mars to support people in living a sustainable life there as comfortable as people are living on Earth.

May 12, 2013 at 2:43 am |
  13. old wolf lazer007

shure wish i could go i need a long trip ..mars would be a new start and a new life 🙂

May 11, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
  14. pizzapizza

"The chances of successfully making it to Mars and surviving are approximately 3,720 to 1"

"Never tell me the odds!"

Please sign me up!

Actually, please don't send people to colonize Mars. Screwing up one planet in the universe is more than enough.

May 11, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
  15. PP

Mars ain't the place to raise a kid.

May 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  16. DING DING

We need a song to commemorate mars, just like fly me to the moon by frank sinantra or tony bennett.

May 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  17. Alicia

So, there are 78,000 people with a death wish.. cool.

May 11, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • NOT-CooCoo4CoCoPufz

with average lifespan is 25,550 days everyone has a death coming. why so serious?

May 12, 2013 at 5:04 am |
  18. Skeptic

I vote we send 4 of the Kardashians to Mars.

May 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Chan

As a scientist I agree.

May 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Chan

I agree

May 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Chan

Scientist have determined Mars may be the most le-sbean planet ever.

May 11, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Chan

Agreed. Mars is g a y.

May 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm |
  23. Chan

Mars – the gay planet.

May 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
    • Skeptic

I agree. Mars isn't red, it's pink.

May 11, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Chan

Other than Uranus, Mars is the gayest planet in our galaxy. I think all the lesbeans are wanting to move up there.

May 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
  25. svann

Didnt the last guy promising to take his followers into space end up handing out cyanide capsules?

May 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
  26. lavitz

Not only the trip there but life on Mars is sure to be pretty rough. Served in the Navy and I can tell you first hand life on a ship aint for the weak. Whoever the first voyagers to Mars will be, I hope they're strong willed.

May 11, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
  27. joed2012

Let's hope the zionists jump on this deal–' a planet without people, for a people who want to run their own, little world;–leave Palestine, and the Palestinians ALONE! Bon voyage....

May 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  28. every man for himself

Let all the thugs go please ! It'd be a one way trip with no way back.

May 11, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  29. rafael

Mars is worst than the worst place to live on Earth, by far. Unless these people are interested in signing up to live in the worst place on Earth, they are deluding themselves with romanticism.

May 11, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  30. bigboy

I was going to go, but they said I would have to pay for two seats, since I was considered a "passenger of size" and it wouldn't be fair to the other person to have to share the armrest, since it's a long trip. 😦

May 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
  31. JBK

....i'm curious,, even damn curious, how the author of this article knows for sure people will not be able to take showers on mars. the mars-water topic has been fiercely explored for years...most know that a cool drink of knowledge can be had about this subject by a brief keyboard tickle of any search engine....

May 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
    • rafael

You can't change gravity.

May 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
  32. EVN

Can't we just compact those 78000 volunteers into a space small enough to fit four people and send them off? It's a one way trip anyway so's who's going to be the wiser? Be sure to charge them all full fare too.

May 11, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  33. blaze562

Horse mouth Nancy Pelosi should go, and she should fit right in, she would actually blend in with all the black holes in space when she opens that big wide high capacity mouth of hers.

May 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  34. cloud27

Sad that all of those people won't be coming back

May 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  35. TopCat

WOW . if they bury the first guy to die, into the area where water freezes and thaws. the bacteria in his body can seed the planet like the superhuman guy in the beginning of the movie promethius.

May 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  36. Herm

Do these 78,000 people who have paid their fee to sign up really think this stunt is going to lead to anyone actually going to Mars? Or are they just making a feel-good donation for the sake of the idea? Are the folks taking the applications (and the money) at Mars One under any kind of obligation to actually send anyone anywhere? Or they just planning to make a voyage to the bank? Nice hustle, wish I had thought of it!

May 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • svann

Probably for the tax deduction.

May 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
  37. Greg Faith

May I volunteer some people?

May 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
  38. FF

Just wait until they're filtered by a physical test.

May 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Herm

According to the article the plan is to pick just four. I seriously doubt this stunt will lead to even one person actually going to Mars. I predict the good folks at Mars One will say "Sorry, technical difficulties, thanks for your interest", then close up shop and make an intrepid voyage to the bank.

May 11, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  39. Well Wisher

Instead, put the money in a good cause - help the poor and the needy. Spending tons of money to go to Mars, lead a lonely life through hardship is not a good cause.

May 11, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  40. erin andrews perky breasts

This is starting to get pretty amazing, we live in an amazing time! Soon we'll be inhabiting another planet. AMAZING!

May 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • rafael

You'll get really jazzed when they launch the Epsilon Eridani One project and you can exclaim how amazing it is that we will soon be inhabiting another solar system.

May 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
  41. Seyedibar

Sending humans to Mars is reckless and unnecessary. The future of exploration is in telepresent robots. We should be using our space funds to perfect our robotics so we can explore Mars comfortably and leisurely from Earth's safety.

May 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • Herm

Absolutely correct! Robots should be the Mars plan for the next 50 years. Sending humans is horrendously expensive as well as dangerous, not to mention largely unnecessary. But I really doubt this stunt will lead to anyone being sent to Mars anyway...it will lead to the Mars One people taking an intrepid voyage to the bank with 78,000 donations.

May 11, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • Nepotisto

Stay at home and be comfortable and leisurely then. Let the people who actually have dreams and goals do all the hard work. At least your useless corpse will be good for cattle feed and trace elements.

May 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
      • svann

If by dreams you mean fantasies then ok.

May 11, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
  42. Stormy

Sounds like a blast 🙂 Be one of the first 4 humans to step on the moon and make preparations for scientists and actual colonists who will be on their way in a few short years. Think i'll apply for the colonization group after this group gets there and sets stuff up. I'm too old for the glory deals and playing Adam and Eve on Mars, as my Air Force days are behind me.

May 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Stormy

meant Mars...not moon in earlier post...my god my mind is thinking right but my mouth is a few thousand miles off.

May 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  43. Jeff

I think this is so neat if it isn't a hoax. I think you pay $35 for them to process your application. Several million people send in their money then when 2023 rolls around they can just say "sorry – we didn't get enough funding". If its legit then it's awesome – but almost sounds like an easy scam to raise lots of cash and retire to Bahamas.

May 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • Herm

I think you hit it on the head. That "if" is a big if.

May 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  44. Jeff

I think this is so neat if it isn't a hoax. I think you pay $35 for them to process your application. Several million people send in their money then when 2023 rolls around they can just say "sorry – we didn't get enough funding". If its legit then it's awesome – but almost sounds like an easy sc@m to raise lots of cash and retire to Bahamas.

May 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  45. pjr

How riduculous is this! We have people on our streets homeless and hungry and we are talking about going to a planet that can not ever sustain life. If you want meaning in life, get involved in making a difference. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You can not complain, and remain on your duff. Wake up. Stop being lovers of self and pleasure , and get involved in something that truly matters, changing lives for the better.

May 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

*poot*

May 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • Nepotisto

People who say "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem" are themselves part of the problem.

May 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • Tevii

Wow, can you be anymore short-sighted? If we were ever able to occupy another planet, in the long run that could save humanity. There will come a day when we can't live here. I'm not saying soon, could be thousands of years. But it will happen eventually. So the hunger thing pales in comparison if your talking saving us from extinction one day.

May 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Nate

May 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
  47. Nate

May 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  48. Jeff S.

Consider all the requirements before going. Where will the inhabitants get water; recycle waste; grow food; maintain a viable air supply? How will they protect themselves against the deadly radiation (underground, probably?). Those above-ground pods don't look all that safe. What will they do for medical supplies? They'll need a standard pharmacy, at least. What will they do if a medical emergency arises? Broken leg, e.g. Even a bad cut can be disastrous. You'd need a small medical staff on hand. What if someone had appendicitis? Developed cancer? You couldn't rush them to an emergency room. Basically, you'd consign them to death. I've had detaching retinas that required operations. Without them, you go blind. Supposing someone develops a heart attack. You know the old saying... "What can go wrong, will go wrong". Look at the settlers that came to America. The colonies died off within 6 – 12 months due to disease, starvation, and run-ins with the American Indians. Leaving off the Indians (of which there will be none) you may have the former two with which to contend. The colony may fail. ~ ~ Jumping to a colony on Mars seems to be a ridiculous risk when we haven't even proved that we can establish a colony on the Moon first. Remember Biosphere 2 (the failure?). That went over like a lead balloon. If we can't even properly conduct a successful trial of a "settlement" here on earth then how can we go into space? We've already lost astronauts on the launching pad, on ascent, on descent, and almost lost them on the way to the Moon (Apollo 13). ~ ~ It seems to me that we are trying to do too much, too fast, over too brief a period of time. This effort needs more planning, in stages. I would suggest that if we do anything at all then we should again try for a "Biosphere 3" (to success this time). If we can prove that it is viable here on earth, then the next step should be the Moon. After that, then try for Mars. We'll have the experience and equipment for the big step.~ ~ As it is now, we'd be taking too many risks. We'd be working "without a net". There'd be no back-up on Mars. We'd be working on the assumption that nothing would go wrong. There would be no plan for contingencies. The only result, therefore, would be the eventual failure of the mission.

May 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  49. GAW

There's probably less risk in taking a trip to Mars than going on a Carnival Cruise Ship and have nothing go wrong.

May 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  50. DC Observer

A one-way ticket to Mars ...never to return to Earth. Okay, I'll pay for the following:

Barack Obama
    Nancy Pelosi
    Harry Reid
    Joe Biden
    Hillary Clinton
    Al Sharpton
    Pierce Morgan

May 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

*poot*

May 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • dsvstheworld

Oh yea thats American, just get rid of all those you disagree with. Yes Mien Fuher! Typical.

May 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • SOBama sux

Where do I donate.

May 11, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
  51. Bob

Not a good idea to go with this type of chemical fuel as a proppelant. The only logical way to go would be to use the Nuclear Project ORION from the 1960's to take a nuclear powered skyscraper ship to oribit, taking thousands of tonnes of supplies and hundreds of people. The issue is the 800 nukes that would have to be detonated in the atmosphere to push the giant spaceship. Project was abandonded when nuclear tests on surface were abandoned in a treaty with the Russians, in spite of the progress made in making cleaner nukes that produce a fraction of the fallout of earlier bombs. This technology is still being developed. It would allow all the supplies needed for a real journey into space, like a traveling Aircraft Carrier does. Go look up project Orion on Wikipedia, this 4 people on mars is a joke. A ORION would also allow a return journey because nukes could be brought for a return journey if it was required. Chemical propellants cost ten thousands dollars per pound to put in space, this would be much more economical.

May 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  52. K from AZ

Is Comrade Obama and his 'entire' administration on the list (I hope)?

May 11, 2013 at 11:57 am |
    • palintwit

You teabaggies must be awfully embarrassed at how Sarah Palin duped you. I'll bet you even bought her book.

May 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • dsvstheworld

Take your meds K from AZ. You clearly missed your dose today.

May 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  53. amber

This must be a publicity stunt. This company has no intention on sending anyone to mars.

May 11, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  54. palintwit

Build a trailer park and a nascar track and all the teabaggers will want to go.

May 11, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  55. asdfasdfasdfasdfdfghsdfsdfsdfsgsdfg

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    qqqqqqqqqqqqhhhhhh-Chinese torture cases Venezuela.-hhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    dfghdfgh
    xcvbxcvbhhhhhhhhhh-publish complaints on this url in the button-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqq foros.
    dfghjhgjgkjg--–http://www.liberenlosya.com/foros/?mingleforumaction=viewforum&f=1.0--hjkhlkhluihiuhiuhiuhihiuhiuhdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg

May 11, 2013 at 11:14 am |
  56. asdfasdfasdfasdfdfghsdfsdfsdfsg

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    qqqqqqqqqqqqhhhhhh-Chinese torture cases Venezuela.-hhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    dfghdfgh

May 11, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  57. asdfasdfasdfasdfdfghsdfsdf

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    qqqqqqqqqqqqhhhhhh-Chinese torture cases Venezuela.-hhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    dfghdfgh
    dfghjhgjgkjg--–http://www.liberenlosya.com/foros/?mingleforumaction=viewforum&f=1.0--hjkhlkhluihiuhiuhiuhihiuhiuhgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

May 11, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  58. Hez316

I read the article but am still unclear of the purpose of colonization? Is it our "destiny"? Something to unite us?

May 11, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Dr. H

Let's do this the other way around and vote people off our planet.

May 11, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
      • Greg Yancey

I nominate Palin !

May 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
      • SOBama sux

I would go with Palin any thing would beat staying here and watching SOBama destroy this country.

May 11, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
      • glj

I nominate all politicians.

May 12, 2013 at 8:04 am |
      • Repulicansgohome

Give it a rest Sobama Sux. You and your ilk are giving me a headache. You're stuck on an endless loop, repeating the same bull over and over, unable to think of anything else. It must be hell being you, constantly worrying over an idea which is patently false and clearly obsessive. I pity you. You should def go to Mars, even though you and people like you already are in outer space if you think one man in four years is what is destroying this country. You ought to be worried about what's destroying this world because having a good country is no good in a world that's going down the toilet. But you republicans have a way of distorting the truth and thinking small, worrying about the little issues when the big ones are staring at you through the barrel of a gun being held by the entire human race. There won't be an America in a world without an ecosystem or a sustainable way of living. But you guys believe erroneously that we can sustain a capitalist way of life that consumes everything and views everything as something that can be used, consumed or it's worthless. Wake up and preserve the word for future generations. Unless you don't care, then you should go to Mars....meh go to Mars anyway and take your capitalist buddies with you. Exploit that dead world and not the one you're on presently.

May 12, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Lee

Human nature to do so. You are most certainly a product of that trait too. Just because you do not feel the need to, does not likely mean that you are not of product of this... unless you are from central Africa and can definitively trace your ancestry as far back to the beginning of humanity. Then you can safely question this.

People(s) also often recolonize places they once descended from too or to new places where other people already live. Entire wars are sometimes fought over such matters. The locals (regardless of where you are from) generally regard such events as "invasions."

May 11, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
    • Jeff s

Discovery? Science?

Do you not know all of the innovation that came out of going to the moon? Or just to orbit the Earth? We might very well learn stuf about our own planet by going to Mars.

May 11, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
  59. Mikefromnica

Ok, who wants to go to a place where there is no oxygen, no food, it is way cold and you might never get there??? In other words who wants to die??? But if you want to try, go ahead!!! I am sure you will regret it, meanwhile I can only thank God for creating our planet earth which is just perfect for us!!!

May 11, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • dsvstheworld

Buddy you do know that your book of fairy tales has been proven wrong time and time again. Please explain to me how it was possible to her 2 of EVERY species of animal on a boat? How did the Koala Bears make it from Australia to Israel? What about how we have proven the earth is millions of years old? Or we can talk passages, Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man rapes a woman and it is discovered he shall pay her parents in silver and they are to be married. ? I could go on and on. Even the ones about selling your daughter into slavery. Also you do know that Christianity was the 3rd religion with a virgin born prophet, apostles and some names in the story and the same and similar to 2 other religions prior to Christianity? Just face it, god does not exist.

May 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • Brad

Of course, it would be helpful if people like yourself did more than set up funadamentalist straw men to knock down....nice try though.

May 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
      • zuglo1

You have provided your reasoning for why you believe God does not exist. Try seeing what happens if you honestly try to seek out God. If you don't find anything then you can go back atheism having proven it to yourself.

May 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
      • Rabidmob

There is quite a bit in the bible that I don't agree with, but I still believe in God. I choose to believe in God, because I consider existence with God to be better than one without God.

I think the idea is interesting, but a one way ticket is not a good plan. Also no showers does not sound good either.

May 11, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
      • Tevii

Zuglo. I have. And the more I sought the more I realized it was nonsense. I've read the bible back to back, the Koran, the bagavad Gita, etc.... I've studied the history of these religions. And after you can sit there and literally see how the telephone game evolved one story into another, then realize the political environment during the time of their creation inspired the retelling then you realize religion is a means for power for governments and a lazy mans explanation of the world for the ignorant. An explanation that also caters to the narcissism of us all.

May 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
      • cocoloco

Hey, do your research before talking: The same questions you asked, have been answered long before you opened your mouth! Just because your are a hell-bound atheist, it doesn't mean the bible doesn't have answer to stupid's people's questions like you. The fool says in his/her heart: There is no God! Don't be a fool! Repent before it's too late. Darwin was an animal just like you, and he died just like you will if you do not repent! Think about it!

May 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
      • Brett

So we don't know all the details about the flood. But what is interesting is that if you look at ancient religions you find a common story of a flood covering the earth while a few individuals were saved by divine intervention. As to how old the earth is, it is a little over a week old- according to God's timing. There are definitely bizarre traditions, customs, and laws in ancient Israel, but the reason why a lot of it is there is because of the law of Moses. A strict law that was started to help wicked people to become more prepared to meet God. I am not surprised that there are similar characteristics shared by Christianity with other religions. But Christianity is older than you think. In the old days it was Judaism, they were looking forward to a Savior and a Redeemer sent by God. The difference today between Christianity and Judaism is that they are still looking forward to His first coming rather than His second coming and that we are no longer under the law of Moses but rather under the law of Christ.

May 12, 2013 at 12:56 am |
    • Kandi

You poor poor little guy. Believing in your god is your first mistake.

May 11, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
      • Tom Hartman

Yes it's much easier to believe it was all one big happy accident, the probability of that happening you can simply ignore lol

May 12, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • AJ

In a few years Jehovah's witness will be going from planet to planet instead of door to door

May 12, 2013 at 5:19 am |
  60. asdfasdfasdfasdfdfgh

rtyurtyurtyu

May 11, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  61. asdfasdfasdfasdfdfgh

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    qqqqqqqqqqqqhhhhhh-casos de torturas chinas en Venezuela.-hhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    dfghdfgh
    xcvbxcvbhhhhhhhhhh-publicamos las denuncias en esta url en el boton foros.-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqq
    dfgh
    sdfgsdfghhhhhhhhhhhhhh-http://www.liberenlosya.com/foros/?mingleforumaction=viewforum&f=1.0-hhhhhhhddddddddddddddddddddddwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

May 11, 2013 at 10:55 am |
    • Ron

curious, are you crazy? What is this suppost to say??

May 11, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
  62. asdfasdfasdfasdf

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    dfghdfgh
    dfgh

May 11, 2013 at 10:54 am |
    • unbeliever

I find what you're saying very interesting, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

Something about Chinese people being tortured in venezuela with Casio keyboards? SHOCKING!

May 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
  63. Sliderr

If it only takes 15 years to get to Mars, how come the people cannot come back. Seems pretty messed up to me.

May 11, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • snowboarder

they are trying to do it on the cheap.

May 11, 2013 at 10:49 am |
    • Adam

It doesn't take 15 years to get to Mars, smart one. It only takes a few months, actually.

What makes it impossible to return is the fact that with current technology, the only way to actually achieve exit velocity from a planet with gravity like Earth and Mars is with a multi-stage booster rocket that consumes an ungodly amount of fuel.

With current technology, it is impossible to take a spare, and you can't build one on Mars.

Hence, 1-way trip.

May 11, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • svann

Because there is no profit in bringing them back.

May 11, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
    • unbeliever

There are no round trips because they don't want the illegal Aliens to get to Earth...

May 12, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • 89yoyos

Well, first of all, it takes only about 7 months to get there. Still a long time, but not as bad as 15 years. But that only adds to your point. If the trip can easily be done multiple times in a human lifespan, why is it only one way?

The answer is actually quite interesting. First, you have to consider the rocket. As others have mentioned, the fuel required to go the distance from one planet to another is enormous. This means that either we have to ship it all to mars (extremely expensive) or mine it there (also expensive, plus time consuming). On top of that, tnother rocket would have to go as most of the rocket is shed during the takeoff and traveling parts of the mission. So they'd have to send a fully fueled rocket with launchpad and 7 months of supplies if they wanted to bring anyone back.

Second, the more missed point, is bone and muscle deteroriation. Mars has a gravitational pull of about 3 meters per second squared. By comparison, Earth's gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared. Thats a pretty big difference. As we have found with astronaughts going only so far as the ISS, their bones and muscle become accustomed to the gravity by reducing their densities (not as much muscle or bone is needed to hold up something 1/3 the weight). So, if one were to go to mars, they'd spend 7 months there in 0 gravity, plus 20-25 months on mars with 1/3 gravity, plus 7 months back at 0 gravity. By the time they returned, their bones and muscles would be too weak to support their bodies and they would likely be crushed under their own weight.

Finally, it isn't nescecarily a one-way trip. They advertise it as this so no one signs up assuming they will for-sure come back. The first people to go likely will live and die there. Later trips, however, may pack the things required to overcome the aforementioned hurdles to a return trip (spaceship for travel, centrifuge-like device to simulate earth's gravity, etc.). If you look deep into their FAQs (I've seen it, but I don't know where or I'd link to it) that they mention the possibility of future return flights.

And, just for the purposes of full-disclosure, I'm no expert in the field nor to I try to be. I have, however, done quite a bit of research on the Mars-One program as I was considering applying for it (have not as of thus, but it isn't off the table).

May 12, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • KRoy Maui

They hope that by the time the flight is made, that it will only take 7 months. The reason why the first people will not come back is because the much lower gravity on Mars, as well as weightlessness in flight will allow the space travellers' muscles to deteriorate. I already have one crushed leg and a torn arm, so I'm ready to go! At 51 yrs old, I'm not afraid to die, and if it does good for all of mankind, then I'm in. Plus, It will be much easier to discover and track asteroids from there! lol

May 12, 2013 at 6:07 am |
  64. Dionysos

The world knows maybe 1% if that of the worlds oceans and yet we know more than we need to about MARS? 1 + 1 = 3
    Whats wrong with this picture?

May 11, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Eric

And we know infinitely more about a fraction of our ocean than we do about a infinitely small fraction of the universe. See the problem finite minded fool.

May 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
      • Leo Regulus

Eric, you think you can go out and play in the playground (universe) without having become one with your own planet first? Humans cant even get along with each other on this planet, and you think they are going to be allowed out into the cosmos before they overcome that spiritual lesson? Wake up.

May 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
  65. Dionysos

You would think we would strive to get to the moon since we know SO MUCH information about it. LMFAO! Thats why NASA spends BILLIONS of dollars to crash a probe into the MOON to get info on water. I say lets send mostly Americans on the ships and say "Ciao!" Coming soon to a planet near you: "Walmart" "Starbucks" and of course "McDonalds"

May 11, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • Dionysos

This is most likely a story of frivolous exaggeration and imagination to give hope to those here on planet 'Earth'. (Earth is such a generic name) When all *hit finally lets loose on THEIR watch then we will know exactly who is leaving Earth and who is staying. If the NAZI's were as successful in their attempts of making 'flying saucers' as has been reported, then all of humans here on earth have been duped by the BILLIONAIRES for the past 80 years. OH WAIT ....... This isn't the first time BILLIONAIRES have given hope to the goi of earth. – Barry Obama (Hope and Change) 2009 – Wonderful puppet of the NWO

May 11, 2013 at 10:42 am |
      • snowboarder

NWO? tin foil hat alert.

May 11, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • Bob Knippel

Without a quest for knowledge, you'd be throwing rocks at an animal if you wanted to eat supper tonight.

May 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
  66. Dionysos

Corporation of the Earth has been achieved. Lets move onto Mars!
    Corporations are people 😉

May 11, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Nepotisto

No genius, Soylent Green is people. Corporations are God.

May 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  67. are122

I wonder how many "moles" Walmart is sneaking in to start the first store there...probably why China is also interested.

May 11, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  68. kethy149

If you think Ruth`s story is unimaginable..., 1 week ago my daughter worked and got paid $9054 sitting there fourty hours a month at home and their roomate's step-mother`s neighbour has been doing this for four months and recieved a check for more than $9054 part-time online. follow the steps at this address.......... fox85. com

May 11, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • Oscar

I made the same amount nailing your MOM, and it only took about 2 hours!!!

May 11, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • Davin

Do not click on fox85.com, it will send you a virus.

May 11, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • snowboarder

all these financial postings that sound too good to be true, are.

May 11, 2013 at 10:55 am |
      • Ugh

Who would EVER click on that dumb crap anyway?

May 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  69. astronut

CNN just deleted my last two comments on leaving behind what would be a fully functioning communist govt. by 2023, if we allow current conditions in govt. to continue...mandatory health insurance...this sure sounds communist to me under "Obmamcare"...a phoney pseudonym for communism where one if FINED if he does not carry insurance. Anyway, my wife and I would be in our 70's by 2023, so rather than put up with this madness which whites have allowed to happen here in this country, we would rather take our chances on another planet, even with the chance that we would never make it to Mars, if some error is made on behalf of humans here sending us out there!!!

May 11, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • Unkown

Do you need any help packing?

May 11, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • WooWooWoo

Wooooo Woooooo Wooooo

Bye

May 11, 2013 at 9:34 am |
    • Mike d

Wish they would have deleted this comment of yours too. Pretty clueless comment too even if it was posted in a political story, which it wasn't.

May 11, 2013 at 9:51 am |
    • fidgepiddy

I think we should plan that our Martian colony be populated by people smarter than a 5th grader.

May 11, 2013 at 9:55 am |
      • TallinOK

That means leaving out Americans.

May 11, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Callidus

Whites allowed to happen? Obama is black, and it's a known fact that a HUGE percentage of the black population of the US voted for him again and again not out of competence but color and free Obama-phones. You want to blame race on the way this country is going down the tubes, take a look in the mirror.

May 11, 2013 at 11:14 am |
    • cryomark

Astronaut-
      If they have a position in the emigrant cadre called elderly ,ranting wackdoodle, you sound eminently qualified. Bon Voyage.

May 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • 5giggy5

Go good ridence, with the have billions of chinese and billions of color, seeing white only probably will be extinct.

May 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm |